Xbox One external storage support teased in new image

They're thinking its going to be in the next update.

Link to Story

What size External HD are you going to get?

I was thinking a nice 2 TB drive should hold me for awhile.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Old devices (phones and cameras) used to have maximum size memory cards you can use, is it the same with HD's? I mean will there be spec involved?

500 gb is plenty for me since I only install games. I uninstall them as soon as I'm done.

This is good news but it should have been like this years ago.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

i haven't decided yet, i have a few 2TB drives that i'm not using, but they were for my file server and only 5400RPM, think i'll just hold off until i get closer to filling up my X1(still only at 32% or something like that), but really i'm still even sure how i want to do it, just a really big drive and leave it, or several big drives in a RAID, or just have several smaller drives and divide the games by genres... so many choices...

Hopefully I'll be able to use a 2.5" external drive that requires no additional power, in which case, I'll get a 1TB drive.

@ Zero,

Now that you bring up all of those options, I'm wondering if we'll be able to partition the drive?

Games in 1 partition, HD movies in another. Music in another.

1 TB is 1K in GB, right? So, a 2 TB drive is 4x the size of the current HDD in the Xbox One, right? In fact, it's probably larger since the system won't be taking up a portion of that space. I currently have 11 games on my brother's XB1 HDD right now and still have about 25% left. That's a lot of space for games! My mind is spinning just thinking about it...

How much do 2 TB HDDs cost nowadays?

I'm going with 4TB. The reason is if there's a limited amount of time to download the free games as part of gold then I don't want to lose any by needing to uninstall to make room for other games. I think that's how it works for the 360, not sure on the X1. Either way, they drives aren't that expensive.

GG,

They're about $100-$150 for a 2 TB

good question @bird125, i wonder how/if it sees multiple partitions, or i wonder if they can be routed through a USB hub? i hope E3 will answer these questions.

Well, they may not answer until you ask. ;)