Xbox One Discs Sometimes Won't Read - Repeatable scenario!

Hello all!

I am having an issue that I have been able to repeat on several occasions. If I have a DVD or BluRay in my drive on boot up of my console, then I want to play a game. I take the DVD/Blu Ray out of the system. Then I put in my game disc. The disc drive does not spin up but makes a quiet click twice. I then remove my game disc and put it back in and it reads and plays perfectly. It is worth noting if I do not have ANY disc in my system the disc is read perfectly on the first try.

The issue only seems to occur when switching from DVDs to Game Discs NOT Game Discs to DVDs. I can switch game discs in and out without issue but once I play a DVD I have to take the game disc out again and try once more for it to read.

My question is are there two different lenses inside of the disc drive? Maybe this is a software issue? I do not have a load clicking or buzzing sound that I have read from people who's systems will not read discs at all, so this is not the same problem they are having. So should I be concerned?

Thanks for any input!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 182 Applies to:

I have a very simular problem and have been trying to find out about it as well

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Can ANYONE from microsoft respond to this please!!! This is driving me nuts... whats the point of this damn forum if there is no one from microsoft monitoring this?

I have the same problem as OP. I have to eject my disc over and over again until it works.

Somebody please read this!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue. Would love a response. For me though, this didn't start happening until the latest system update. I don't know if there is a relation or if my xbox is starting to break down. Do I need to send it in? Or will this issue be fixed in the summer system update?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys, try this:

Uninstall Blue-Ray App.

Go to Settings>Disc and Blu-ray Settings

Make sure there is a check at 24 hz.

Scroll down to persistent storage, clear it.

Go back to the home screen.

Make sure no disc is in disc drive

Power cycle console for 10 seconds

Power drain, and unplug everything

Wait for the light on PSU to disappear

Reconnect cables in this order: HDMI (both, if necessary), Kinect, Ethernet (if necessary),  Power cord to console and directly to wall, (if possible.)

Restart console

Download Blu-Ray player app

Go to home screen, and test:  

Sorry this didn't help.

Either drives are failing or unconfirmed firmware break. The best I get now is the pop-up error. Advance exchange program under warranty guys, that seems to be the route right now.

For reference mine started after 1405 beta preview started to rollout but it's hard to say if it's firmware or just fluke timing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to pile on, I too am having drive issues.  Sometimes the game/dvd/blu-ray disk fires right up.  Sometimes I have to eject it and re-insert it several times to get it to recognize.  Gotta say this is pretty annoying for a new game system.  

I may try the whole uninstalling the app and power cycle everything but it strikes me as odd to have to go through all of that to do a basic and simple function that has worked for multiple generations of game systems at this point.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I tried something the Chat help offered and it worked for a bit.  Go into Settings, Disk and Blur Ray drive, Persistent Storage.   Clear the  Persistent Storage storage 3 times and do a Hard reset.  

Like I said that fixed it for a bit but now I am having the issue again.  I am guessing I have to do it again.  Wish they would fix it but perhaps I should see about getting it replaced.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having this problem too, but only with Xbox 360 discs, Xbox One discs are read instantly, but I have to keep ejecting the 360 discs and reinserting them about 20 times before they read, it's getting very annoying now

Sorry this didn't help.