Xbox One Day One Controller broken

I just called about this - my dpad is clicking every time I press "left", and not registering 100% of the presses.  Not the worst thing in the world, as most apps and games don't make extensive use of this one button.

WHY is the only method of fixing this:

1. ME buying a box and packing peanuts to ship
  2. Sending it to someplace in Texas
  3. THEN when it is received in Texas all of the way from NY, Microsoft sends me a replacement??
Why is the replacement not sent first and I ship back in the box they send??  Now I have to go the holiday week (at least) without being able to play my brand new system unless I go and purchase a new controller.  It is only the dpad broken, so I'd rather use it while the new one is shipped and on its way!  This is crazy.  You (microsoft) have no problem taking my money instantly for purchases, but now the $150 in games I just downloaded CANNOT be played for two weeks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 158 Applies to:

If all companies went on trusting customers by sending replacements before receiving the "defective" equipment then they would go out of business as nobody would return the "defective"equipment and just keep both. Your cell phone company will send replacements as you have your payment information on file or it is part of the contracted agreement to return the device or you will be billed for it. Best I can suggest, go get a new controller. It is not a game so they can be returned when you receive your replacement from Microsoft. Just save your new controllers receipt and return it within the stores return window.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is not true - Microsoft also has my billing info, as clear by them tying my replacement to my xbox live user account.  They can clearly charge me if I don't return it.  Apple does the same - they take billing info over the phone and only ship the replacement device after they have it.

However!  The worst part is that the rep said that this is ONLY the process for Day One controllers!  If it was a regular Xbox One controller, they are letting people KEEP the defective one!  He said that he didn't have the same option to do this with the Day One controller.  Unreal.  I'm thinking of calling back tomorrow and put in a request for a "broken" regular controller just so that I'll have one to use in the meantime.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. In the UK, both Amazon and Google will send you a new replacement without you having to return the faulty item first. They also pay for the return shipping. If you don't return the defective item within X number of days, they charge you for the replacement, so you can't rip them off and keep both while only paying for one. There's no reason why MS can't do this. I was told that I had to pay to ship my controller from the UK to Prague and that it could take up to 28 days from them receiving it to get a replacement to me. The customer service is really bad.

Sorry this didn't help.

my works, but I can hear a piece of something that has broken off inside from somewhere moving about in my Day One controller. I tried ringing support but it keeps hanging up on me. how do I get it fixed  if I can't talk to someone about this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine was broken too, the right stick won't move the camera side to side. Went out an bought a new one, and it works fine. Sending the day one back on Monday, very frustrating since I wasn't planing on buying a second one just yet $$$. I also agree that they could take your billing info and put a pending charge until they got the broken one. Oh well, now I'll have two, and broken accessorizes aren't limited to Microsoft. I've had a broken Samsung remote and a Sony surround system that would even turn on, it happens  

Sorry this didn't help.

mine is broken too the whole left side of the controller is messed up when i press the left trigger it makes a weird clicking noise and so does the left thumbstick :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine came with a broken controller (Day One Edition) out of the box. Microsoft support wants me to pay for shipping to send it to them, pay for shipping of the replacement -- all while waiting 10-13 days controllerless on a brand new $500+ dollar console. Way to go, Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with all of you guys. I got mine today and the controller turns on but after a while like 2 sec. It would stop working and stay on but wont do anything. wow

Sorry this didn't help.