Xbox One Controllers FREEZE (NOT Disconnect)

I have an inconsistent but not infrequent problem with my controllers freezing/console won't take input from controllers.  The packed-in controller and a Titanfall controller.  One with headset adapter, one without.  Both have the latest controller firmware update.  An example:  controller input doesn't navigate home screen, launch games or apps, invoke menus, whatever.  Home button tap will sometimes go home as it should, but not further input recognized.  Holding home button brings up turn console off or turn controller off dialog box as it should, but can't select either option, or the close option.

Interestingly enough, this also happens with the Xbox One infrared media remote.  Same deal.  Console won't take input from the remote, or the only input it will take is home button taps or holds.

Doesn't seem to freeze during gameplay.  Only during app or home UI interaction.  For example, controller won't freeze playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, won't freeze in the game's pause screen or options screens, but open friends or chat during a gameplay session, controller input will freeze in the app.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 299 Applies to:

Hey there Monty Airline,

I'm sorry to hear about the odd controller issue. Thanks for posting up such a detailed post, as it helps me better understand what you're experiencing. When you have some time set aside, let's try out these troubleshooting steps to see if we can sort things out.

1. Just to be super sure both your controllers are up-to-date, I would suggest first checking to see if they have the latest controller update available. For more detailed information, check out our support article on how to update your Xbox One controller.
  2. After you have determined both controllers are up-to-date, I would suggest unplugging all attachments from both of your controllers. Attachments like batteries, rechargeable battery packs, USB cables, and your stereo headset adapter.
  3. Next, power cycle your Xbox One console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds.
  4. Once your console is completely off, unplug the console from the power source and give it a few minutes.
  5. Then, plug all the cords back in and turn the console back on with the Xbox button on the front of the console.
  6. Now plug in your batteries or rechargeable pack back into at least one of the controllers and try using it as you normally would.

If you're still experiencing this freezing issue with both controllers after trying the steps above, please post on back and we'll go from there.

Thanks in advance! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.