Xbox one controller shutting off and not turning back on during/after update!

About a few weeks ago I tried updating my xbox one controller. Everything seemed to be going fine for the first couple of seconds until I got an error message on the screen saying that something went wrong. The update was at about 5% when I got the error. Upon looking at my controller, I noticed that it was turned off. Naturally, I try to turn it back on but I got no response. I tried putting in new batteries and got the same result, no power. Needless to say, I exhausted every trouble shooting step just to turn my controller back on and nothing works. I contacted Xbox "support" and they explained to me that there was nothing they could do due to my controller being out of warranty. I understand that it is out of warranty but how could they ignore an issue that was clearly a manufacturer defect? Also, updating a console or controller completely changes the specs of them so who's to say that this new update didn't somehow corrupt my console and or controller. Should the warranty too be updated and extended when they are throwing crap into our systems? It's not like Microsoft has not experienced any issues with there hardware before (red rings of death). I essentially have to buy a new controller that was working perfectly fine before the update. It's a shame how Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company, treats a loyal 15 year customer who wants nothing but a replacement of his $60 controller.

My question is, does anyone have any off the wall trouble shooting steps that can resolve my issue? Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 332 Applies to:

I've had the same issue and I found holding the guide button for around 15 seconds (felt like about 15, though I didn't time it in any way) sorted it out.

Had 2 controllers do this to me and it worked for both of them. Hopefully it'll work for you too.

:)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

**** man same **** just happened to me

Sorry this didn't help.

Same happened to me today. Looks like a common problem with the update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same happened to me today.

Sorry this didn't help.