Xbox one controller on PC

Hello. I just bought Xbox one controller to use with PC (Windows 10). I have a problem when controller doesn't work properly in _powered_ USB 3 hub. When plugged in, controller lights up and appears in Devices and printers/Device manager, but doesn't appear in joy.cpl or respond in games. It works properly in all ports on my mainboard, including the one hub usually occupy, so the problem is apparently the presence of the hub. But when I try various devices in the hub, they work without issues. What could be the reason? Where can I find some error messages? There's nothing in the event log. Also, another question. Can I somehow update controller's firmware in the controller from Windows?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Hello

In order to use the Xbox One controller properly on your PC you'll need to install the firmware which can be found here

support.xbox.com/.../connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc

Just follow the steps and install and all should be fine

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks but that link is well know and speaks about driver, which is 1) something completely different 2) is being contained in Windows 10 out of the box 3) is working properly as seen by controller working in ports directly on board. Not related to my issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey,  I had the same problem but instead of the hub it was the USB 2.0 port on my keyboard.  I ended up using my motherboard USB as well

The problem is when available USB bus controllers ports have been used.  If you have a powered USB 3.0 hub, they usually have their own controller chip.  When using your motherboard USB, you are using the motherboard USB controller chip.  Hope it makes sense.  

The Xbox Controller requires Memory/IRQ resource that is not available from your USB 3.0 hub.

If your motherboard has option for front panel USB socket then you can try 3.5"bay device for USB 3.0  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Warjax.

Somehow I bet your issue with controller not working in keyboard's USB was power related, Xbox One controller have four motors in it and is therefore quite power hungry. That's why _powered_ hub is requirement, which is something what is not in keyboard's hub for sure. I don't have my PC close to TV so to use onboard USBs is very inconvenient, it means to run another cable beside the one going to the hub in question.

Sorry this didn't help.