Xbox One Console Does Not Wake Up via Controller

My Xbox One Console cannot be awaken by my controller at times.  I've done all the "degaussing" steps of the "X" button on both the console and controller.  I've replaced the console.  I've debugged both the controller and console.  It is definitely a console issue ... not a controller issue.  I bought the console and controller 2 months ago.

This "flakey" condition is also reeling in the game for Halo Master Chief Collection.  Twice now, I've had to repeat several missions because the game does not think I've completed a mission, when in reality I've done so.  I use the Save and Quit button and the game does not save my progress.  Very frustrating in legendary mode.

If I had to guess, it's probably your floating PSU design that allows ground to increase in voltage.  Is there a way to ground the power supply?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hi Carbon! Have you made sure that the controller has been updated? Aside from regular monthly console updates, there have been three or four controller firmware updates released since the console launched. I ask because, I also had this synching issue a while back (and many people did) but one of the updates did fix the issue.

You would find this by first connecting the headset adaptor (IF you have one, but if not, you should still update the controller) and then connecting the USB cable. Then press Menu -> Settings -> Devices & Accessories, then select your controller, and select "Update."

You may need to do this more than once, to make sure the controller has the most recent update. Let me know!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My controller had the latest firmware.  It's a console issue.  Degaussing the console only works temporarily.  I accidentally touch the console about 4 inches to the left of the "X" button and it turned on the console.  The whole front plate seems to be affected by the type of on/off button your hardware people chose for this console.  Nothing wrong with the controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

"My people" are actually Cherokee and didn't design the system, nor did I. :-) I'm a member of the gaming community just like you, rather than a console engineer. The Ambassadors are here to offer suggestions to help in any way we can. Sometimes it's easier and quicker to get ideas from the Ambassadors here, and can often save you the time and effort of starting the repair process.

Just out of curiosity, when you touch the console 4 inches to the left of the Xbox Logo, does it make a sound of any sort? That's about the vicinity of the eject button, and usually, if I'm not mistaken, pressing eject is enough to wake up the system.

Unfortunately, if you've done all of the troubleshooting steps, and you know for certain that the controller has the latest firmware, then the only next step will be to call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX, or visit myservice.xbox.com to initiate a repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did touch the eject button and the unit made a noise but did not turn on.  A lot of products have issues with capacitive based on/off buttons.  My alienware M15x laptop does.  I have to degauss the button from time to time.  Thanks for advice, but it looks like a design or component specification issue.  I've already replaced the console.  I'll just have to live with it.  Bye.

Sorry this didn't help.