Xbox One "boot looping" to troubleshooting screen - won't go further

My Xbox One (original) boots to the troubleshooting screen; if I select "continue" it just reboots to the troubleshooting screen.

Selecting the factory reset option (either keep games option or complete reset) also just boots to the troubleshooting screen.

The only thing that works is doing a power reset (ie unplugging and leaving off for a few minutes) and then factory reset using USB. This works flawlessly and the Xbox works fine (albeit I have to start from scratch including re-installing all my games!).

If I use the "instant on" option then I am able to use the Xbox without any issues. But if it decides to do a complete shutdown for whatever reason, or I use the power saving start-up option then it just boots to the troubleshooting screen again and I have to go through the whole factory reset using USB procedure again.

Pretty sure I've tried all "hard reset" suggestions I've found searching the internet. Thinking of selling it as faulty and getting an S, but before I go down that road (will probably talk myself into an X I can't really afford!) I thought I'd try here. If anyone has any ideas or has had the same problem would appreciate any input.

Many thanks!

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.  Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.   

If this work you shouldn't have to start all over.

Happy Gaming!

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already tried this (more than once) and unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Margetti,

Sorry for the issue with the console. As you have done everything as far as factory reset, even the offline update, you would need a repair at this point. There are two ways you can set up a repair:

When you go to Contact Us to get it to request a callback follow these steps:

• Step 1 ----select Xbox One
  • Step 2 ----select no thanks
  • Step 3-----select games
  • Step 4 ----select request a call from support

Once they call explain the issue and they will be able to help you. The repair if it is an out of warranty will cost between 120-160 USD which is cheaper than a new console. 

Hope this helps, let us know.

Thanks,
Brad
Xbox Forum Team

Stay safe have fun. GAME HARD just not too hard :) ಠ益ಠ

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks - that was pretty much the conclusion I was coming to myself.

Some good deals on Xbox One S bundles at the moment - taking into account what I could get selling mine as faulty, and the fact I'd have a new console that's in warranty - the price difference between that and repair is not as much as I'd have thought.

Thanks again, much appreciated. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wait! before you drop money on a repair, especially if it is out of warranty, or a new console, you may want to try the System updates solution. Select I need to update my console offline and follow the steps. You'll need a USB flash drive and a computer. It can be a bit of a lengthy process but it's worth it if it could cost you 120-160 to repair or dropping money on a new console. 

I had to do this once myself.

Then again I just sold my original Xbox One to one of my buddies and upgraded to the One X and couldn't be happier so it's up to you. :D

If you are planning to sell the console you should try the solution though. You'll get more for a working console.

Hope this helps.

Nate

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Margetti,

Sorry for the issue with the console. As you have done everything as far as factory reset, even the offline update, you would need a repair at this point. There are two ways you can set up a repair:

When you go to Contact Us to get it to request a callback follow these steps:

• Step 1 ----select Xbox One
  • Step 2 ----select no thanks
  • Step 3-----select games
  • Step 4 ----select request a call from support

Once they call explain the issue and they will be able to help you. The repair if it is an out of warranty will cost between 120-160 USD which is cheaper than a new console. 

Hope this helps, let us know.

Thanks,
Brad
Xbox Forum Team

Console repair is now $179 plus your shipping costs. (That's for a device that originally costs $249. And Amazon has some models for just over $200.) Just toss it in the trash and buy a new one. You'll be under warranty again and it will cost Microsoft substantially more that way too.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 29,630 Applies to: