XBOX ONE Black Screen

To be clear, I'm an IT professional, working with a wide variety of hardware/software compatibility issues in my time, so this one kind of hurts.

I just purchased my XBOX ONE yesterday afternoon, and by 9 PM last night (and part of today), I'm pretty much ready to return it,  and get my money back. I have an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver (best of class on The Wirecutter in 2012, when I bought it). For the sake of simplicity, I simply unplugged my XBOX 360, and used most of the same cables to plug my new ONE in. Obviously, I knew my Kinect wouldn't work, so I didn't bother plugging that in. Turn everything on - and black screen. I *** down the XBOX and I see for a moment a bright green screen with the words, XBOX ONE in white, and then it fully powers down.

Went through the whole chat thing (and Microsoft, get your guys to read what we write when you ask for information about the problem - I don't like having to type everything twice in unending detail because the customer support tech has read what I wrote, but can't relate it to the series of "how dumb are you" questions they have to start with).

Did I mention I'm a little POd with the whole process so far?

This is not an old receiver, running old firmware. This is a relatively new receiver, that has had no issues with any other device I've hooked up to it. I'm not doing 3D.

If I hook the ONE into my TV directly, it plays without issue, except that if I want sound, I have to use the Digital Audio input on the receiver. Which is pretty much a pain. I also can't use any of the on-screen menus for my receiver if I have things hooked up this way. So, yes, I can make it work on my TV, but not the way I think makes the most sense.

I was also told my Turtle Beach headset wouldn't be compatible with the XBOX controller. It's a three-wire audio cable - what compatibility issues could there possibly be? Does XBOX choose to wire things slightly differently, just to make sure everyone has to buy the latest gizmo?

I've read the other posts: hold down the power button for ten seconds and restart by holding down the eject button and the power button at the same time until you hear a little system bong - which I hear immediately, so I'm probably doing it wrong. Unplug everything for ten minutes. Try that five times in a row. Stand on your head.

As an IT professional and as a video production professional, this whole situation offends me. Anyone could do better than this. Microsoft should be doing much better than this.

Any ideas before I take it and get my money back?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

This happened to my son recently - the Xbox (6 mths old) was working fine in the morning but just gave the black screen after the green boot up screen in the evening. We tried the power down scenario several times and then Microsoft emailed me over the instructions and link for the system update diagnostic - that froze at about 75% for nearly an hour so we had to do the system restore. Son is gutted as he has lost his story mode in gta after 5 mths work but hopefully once he installs all games etc again it will be ok except for that. Not impressed but a quicker solution to sending it off and Microsoft wiping it anyway. I haven't found any other solution. Good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So, now I'm seeing the screen, and everything is working, except for the random blackouts, where the screen simply goes black for a second or less, every few minutes. Seems to get worse and worse, the longer the unit is on. No answers from Microsoft on this one. All they seem to think I need to do is upgrade my two-year-old, mid-line Onkyo receiver. Which would be great, if all I had to do was a firmware upgrade, but I'm at current firmware, and the only way to upgrade it is to buy a newer model.

Really, Microsoft?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.