Xbox One as DVR for TV programming

I really hope MS is working to make this a reality. Especially since they have ditched Media Center. Anyone have any leads on whether being able to record content from the HDMI pass through is high priority? Wish they would have just put a some HD tuners in this beast.

If only all these different industries worked together better. I cut the cord, as far as cable TV, long ago and recently signed back up after the Xbox One reveal so I could experience the full effect of the new features. But if the cable companies don't work with MS to ad DVR to Xbox One, I'll most likely cut that cord again. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

welcome to the real world

So frustrating. These devices are capable of so much and are constantly gimped by feuding industries.  

[quote user="KLRSKIR"]

My DirecTV Genie box will be hooked to the One. I see no need for MSFT to dive into that market.

[/quote]

As you understand the new TV features, will you be able to control every aspect of your DVR through the Xbox One? I.e. tagging shows/series for recording, accessing and managing recorded material. If you have full control over it, then I could see ordering a DVR from my provider.

It'll never happen. TV companies just wouldn't allow it. TV companies want to sell their own DVR boxes and generally charge extra for the privilege (over here at least). The TV companies wouldn't give up control of that

[quote user="Lord Dirt"]

welcome to the real world

[/quote]

I know, I'm a tech idealist ;-) Still dreaming of a world where nothing is proprietary.

My DirecTV Genie box will be hooked to the One. I see no need for MSFT to dive into that market.

-Jim

@Awesome I guess it all depends on the IR blaster functions and commands of the K2. If you can get it to learn commands from your DVR remote than I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to control every aspect of it. But that remains to be seen