Xbox One Area One - Toronto - What happened?

There was a listing for an Area One Event to be held near Toronto Airport next week and now it has all but disappeared from the Xbox One Tour web page  It was also not listed on Major Nelson's spreadsheet.

What happened?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Aw just saw on Nelson's blog that the Toronto event was cancelled.  No explanation or alternative offered.  Weak. WTH?  I was using this opportunity to really get a feel after all the negativity One has garnered over the PR nightmare.  Come on M$ Canada, you are not helping!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yup the Toronto event has been unfortunately cancelled. :( There will still be other opportunities offered throughout Canada for fans to check out the Xbox One before launch. I've got some exciting announcements coming up about some of those opportunities we're working to bring you.

Your best bets are to keep an eye on facebook.com/xboxcanada, twitter.com/xboxcanada and twitter.com/rajio

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that Toronto won't be getting an Xbox event.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update Switch.  Certainly not as much PR money to go around like back in the 360 days eh?  I remember playing the 360 prior to launch on Queen Street and then going to the launch party at The Gurvernment on 11/22/2005.  And low and behold Future Shop was on site selling consoles at midnight.  Here's to hoping there is a half decent launch event.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys I emailed the Vice President of operations for the Toronto Congress Centre and she said it was being postponed because of the Canadian Thanksgiving and she said no new dates have been determined yet

Sorry this didn't help.

Nah Silver check above Switch confirmed it has been canceled not postponed.  Thanksgiving weekend would give them the most traffic.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very disappointing.

I made plans to attend with a few friends, and now I have to cancel... I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I'm not really interested in going to a tarted-up cube van in a parking lot somewhere to check out the XB1 experience. A 19+, multi-day event like Area One would have been pretty awesome to experience in person. 

Toronto is a huge market, we need stuff like this here to push the brand. Cancelling a week before the event is just unbelievable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well theres still possibilities for other events and dates before launch. We've got about 50 days left to go :)

Trust me, there is a lot going on. You'll see soon enough. :D (You guys who know me, know I'm just dying to tell you too!)

Sorry this didn't help.

My point is that you're probably not going to be able to organize anything as cool or special as the Area One event.

I'm not trying to knock you or your abilities, but from all accounts, this Area One thing is a pretty cool experience. Setting up a booth at a local Best Buy and raffling off one T-shirt isn't comparable. I'm not going to embarrass myself by inviting my friends to some ghetto event that's going to make the XB1 look awful.

I WANT my friends to pre-order this thing, and they would I could take them to a showcase event that would knock their socks off. Too bad that event isn't going to be happening next weekend. =/

Sorry this didn't help.

They surely will hold a proper launch party like they did for 360.  That's great but we need more access to it before November.  Like gresnik, I have a lot of friends (we are all 30+) who need convincing of the One.  They pre-ordered PS4 after the E3 debacle and have not looked back since.

Sorry this didn't help.