Xbox One and DRM

Ever since the reversal of the DRM policy I have been pretty bumbed out about not being able to buy a game on disc, installing it and then never having to actually insert the disc into the console to run the game. I guess my question would be why can't we still have this ability? Yes, I do understand that because it doesn't require you to connect to the Internet ever 24 hours you could just go around installing the game on anyone's console, but why not have users insert the disc ever 24 hours instead? Or even better yet give users the ability to choose if they want to have the console require Internet connection every 24 hours? If you choose to connect every 24 hours and then you don't have Internet you could just insert the disc and play. I really don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds, this model makes sense to me. Has xbox ever removed a game from the marketplace causing people to lose their game if they delete it? I know Apple has and yet people are perfectly fine downloading games on their iOS devices and not being able to return or resell their games. I'd really like to have the option to choose between the two different worlds.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I should of also probably mentioned that Steam also has (to my knowledge) an all digital model and people are okay with that as well.

You know, I go away for a week and come back to the same posts and complaints that plagued this forum before.  Well, see you all in a few months.

Thanks for the relevant response. This is my first post, so I apologize if you felt the need to click on it and respond.

It's all good, don't worry about it.

Rampaging, Microsoft said Family sharing might return just not until next year.

Plus I think people will understand it a bit more now that Steam have gone and done it.

As for what you are asking for, you can just buy games off the dashboard on the Xbox Store and you will be able to play it without a disc, just you won't be able to trade in games that way, it does mean if family sharing returns you will be able to share those games though digitally.

It's nothing personal, it's just a shame that the forums have devolved into a place for people to whine.  I used to come here for news and see what sort of positive energy I could get from peoples posts.  Now for every one post about some cool new feature being added, I have to sift through thirty posts about crap.

I'm in the same boat.  I was looking forward to the future MS had envisioned.  Unfortunately, those of us who were ready to accept the Xbox One as it was could not be heard over everyone else crying.

I'm sure if giving people an option for the DRM check were a viable solution, MS would have offered it.  Sadly, they said it's all or nothing, and we got nothing.

They said that the features that were stripped may come back in some form in the future that will make everyone happy (yeah right). Let that small bit of hope tide you over until then

[quote user="Rampag1ngS0da"]I guess my question would be why can't we still have this ability?[/quote]The same reason you don't on the 360. The discs work without any sort of check-in to anything. To prevent rampant disc copying and installation to other people's consoles, the discs themselves become the authentication token required to use the HDD installed copy.[quote]why not have users insert the disc ever 24 hours instead?[/quote]Then you still need the disc with you, thus greatly reducing the advantage of never having to put the disc in again.[quote]I know Apple has and yet people are perfectly fine downloading games on their iOS devices and not being able to return or resell their games.[/quote]Most IOS games are also really cheap.[quote]I'd really like to have the option to choose between the two different worlds.[/quote]You do. Every title will be available at title launch for purchase on the Marketplace. You can elect to buy and download from the Marketplace instead of buying a disc.

Steam games aren't cheap, but people accept downloading those as well. Just curious, did you read through my whole post before responding or just respond as you read it?

Steam games are very cheap if you wait for sales, you are supposed to add them to your wishlist and just wait for an email for it to say your game is on sale... buy it then.

I read your entire post yes, but not all of it I can respond to, unless  you want me to pat you on the back and say "there there", the fact is some of the policies were very restrictive, but a digital model would be nice, when the time is right.

I would love it if you could get emails when xbox games were on sale too :D