Xbox not powering off properly

My xbox has become quite sluggish and acting odd, keeps kicking me off live, out of multiplayer games and now when I turn it off, the power light flashes and it runs the fans for a while and it never did this before until last night.

Thanks in advance

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

The power led 'breathing' when you turn off the console is background updates to cloud, or downloads finishing.

The Sluggish and kicking off live are something else.

Try clearing the cache first on the console

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

If that does not help, can remove you Hard drive and try a USB thumb drive as your primary storage for a day and see if these symptoms go away.

Can you also run a Network test to make sure you do not have a NAT problem, this will also cause problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help, after looking into it I found that something had enabled cloud storage.

As for being sluggish I've cleaned the cache etc, but this hasn't helped. It's not really the console running slow in loading its when playing some games and at certain points the game becomes jittery and sluggish. i.e. In Battlefield 3 Sene Crossing map at flag D the smoke coming from the building makes my game jitter and is sluggish.

I've had the same problem with PC games but that can usually be solved by reducing graphics settings and reducing particle effects but since the Xbox can't do this it is getting very annoying and more common.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there CT! I understand your console is still performing a little sluggish these days. Is this only when playing over LIVE, or does this happen with single player games as well? Does this behavior happen in all games? Can you please go to http://speedtest.net on a computer on the same network as your console, take the test there, and post the result image back here. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got a 1Mb internet connection and it works fine and the speedtest shows I'm getting the full 1Mb.

It happens on LIVE and in Single Player, not on all games but just certain parts on some games. e.g In CoD 4 the mission where you have to get to the bottom of the hill from the farm and have air strikes, my Xbox become jittery and sluggish until the smoke clears, same on certain parts of the sniper mission. On Forza 2 and 3 if I am drifting or doing do-noughts the tyre smoke makes it jittery. On Battlefield 3 single player and on LIVE there are certain maps that have lots of smoke in areas or when buildings collapse it cause my Xbox to jitter.

If it was a PC I'd put it down to the graphics or processor not being able to handle the game properly and it would be a simple task of adjusting the game graphics or upgrade components. Neither of which can be done with the Xbox

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, CT! To address the lag you may be encountering, I would suggest trying the steps listed on this page: support.xbox.com/.../performance. Give it a shot and let us know if the issue persists after doing so. Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.