Xbox new system

If  and when Xbox comes out with a new system and it requires Kinect  to be mandatory for the system to work. Will you buy it or stay with the old system or change altogether?  I like to relax and don't care for the Kinect. They better rethink it. I just read an article today that suggested that they might be doing this. I think it bogus. They should not make a system that Kinect is required to be turned on all the time for the system to work.What do you think?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I highly doubt Kinect will be required for all games. I wouldn't be surprised if it's built in by default on the new system, but I don't think MS is dumb enough to make it required for all games.

The article I read suggested that it would have to be plugged in for the new system to work.

Nothing has been announced about the new system yet, so any articles you've read are pure speculation.

^^so the random article you read about a console that has nothing confirmed not even a name said that...  That's some hard proof right there.  Seriously though just wait to see what happens and what actually gets confirmed etc

ps GOOOOOOOOOO BLUE!!!!!

Mah MS already screwed Windows and Windows phone users what makes you think the 720 isnt gonna screw xbox users, I'm more hyped for the Ps4 to tell ya the truth

[quote user="ThanatosXRS"]

Mah MS already screwed Windows and Windows phone users what makes you think the 720 isnt gonna screw xbox users, I'm more hyped for the Ps4 to tell ya the truth

[/quote]

Ok, bye!

I agree, I owned the xbox & xbox 360, I have about 400 dollars in downloaded games and physical games. This being said I have some investment to stick with xbox next gen as well but if they force me to have kinnect always on (rumor) to watch how many people are in my room ect or just to play a game I don't even use the kinect for that is one thing I wont like. There is the rumor as well about blocking used games and that new games would be one time only person use. Well If a game stinks and you just paid 60 bucks for it what are you supposed to do? Throw it in the trash? I am fine with having a RFID chip in it to verify it's not a pirated game that would be the best way so far to thwart those who ruin it for the rest of us non pirates. But if they dump backward compatibility, always on kinect and one time 60 dollar games (as in one person can use it only) I will be switching to PC even though I don't want to, at least the games are half the price, online free but it cost more up front to build one. Oh well just wait to see. Worse case you can keep the old 360 and play the games from this gen that were good.

I just want to say that I'm by no means a fanboy of XBox, but I have enjoyed their products since day one. The rumors (and that' just what they are until Microsoft confirms them) about the new XBox have me worried. It was reported by EDGE online that the new Xbox will require "always-online" internet access in an attempt to stop piracy of games (read this as used games). Reports are that when someone purchases a new game, it will come with a registration code, similar to the PC model, and the person that bought the game won't be able to trade the game in like we can do today, because the game will be useless without the registration code:

www.edge-online.com/.../the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect

This will change (if not destroy) the retail side of purchasing games. Places like Gamfly are gone, "Mom-and-Pop" video game stores who earn profits from the sale of used games will have to scale back their business, if not go out of business all together. Also, bigger retail chains like EBGames and Gamestop are going to be mauled by this change, where close to 50% of their profits come from the sale of used games:

www.gamesradar.com/nearly-50-of-gamestops-profits-come-from-pre-owned-sales

The argument that developers say is that programmers and designers need to be paid for their work, and the sale of used games cuts into revenue that could go to those who make the games, as well as developing new content (DLC) for those existing games. In the purest sense, I agree with that, especially as a video game programming student myself,  but let's take a look at a simple example: If a company releases a game called "ABC Game" and makes 100 copies of this game for $60 a piece. 100 people buy the game for $6,000 and play. 20 of those people don't like the game and return it to the store for something else. Now the developers have 80 people on the servers playing. 20 new people come in and purchase ABC Game used because they're not sure if they want to spend the money to buy it new because they're not sure if they will like it. So they would rather buy it cheaper just in case. Now they take the game home and 100 people are back on the servers. This is no new strain for the people maintaining the servers at all. Plus, the developers have already been paid for the games because, as you know, retail chains purchase games from distributors in bulk amounts, not per-unit costs (typically in boxes of 5 to 10 games at $52-$54 dollars a piece). Retailers bump the prices to $59.99 so they can stay solvent. So, game companies have already been paid. They just want to get a piece of the used game market by charging licensing fees for used games if they want to play online. Electronic Arts follows this model, as well as the newly-defunct THQ. Now, they not only get paid the original cost of the game ($52-$54 dollard), but they also get an additional $10 for that same game, every time it changes hands from one used game player to another. Imagine if that game changes hands 3 times: they just got paid $82-$84 dollars for that one game! Now imagine if a game sells millions of copies and is quickly outdated, like Madden, which is out of date in a year and the game changes hands at a minimum of 2 times. That's an extra $20 per game for every used copy, times however many millions of copies returned used.

So it will reduce every consumer to HAVE to purchase the game new. You want to lend your friend the game for a couple days, so he can decide if he wants to go out and buy it? Nope. It only works on your system/gamertag. Now you have to rely on magazine and online reviews, which can be biased as we all know. How about demos? Sure! No wait. There was a study that stated that games that are released that have demos, sell half of what they would normally sell if they didn't have a demo:

www.eurogamer.net/.../2013-02-11-games-without-demos-sell-better-on-xbox-360

We will then be completely at the mercy of the developers. All they have to do is create an awesome commercial to entice someone to buy the game, they go out and buy the game new, and if they hate the game, guess what? You're stuck with it. You can't sell it back to get something else because under the new rumored model, these games will be rendered useless without the registration code.

The other thing that bothers me about this is the rumor that the new Kinect will be built-in to the new XBox. Couple that with the "always-online" internet requirement, now you have a Kinect that's always on, regardless if the game uses it or not, and always watching. I have a big problem with a camera always watching me. What I like about my Kinect now is that I can always dis-Kinect it whenever I want.

Sorry that this was so long-winded, especially about rumors, but I wanted to at least say something about how I would disagree with this move if this is what the new XBox is going to be. I hope that they're just rumors, but if not, as much as I love the XBox family of products, I won't be making that jump to the new system.

While my logical mind has doubts that any company/corporation would go that far in alienating it's consumer base with such outlandish Orwellian paranoid shackles and Scrooge-like greedy demands.......however this IS Microsoft after all and they historically have no fear of alienating their customers over their corporate goals.

If it comes with Kinect built in then MS need their heads examined.  Maybe they should focus more on having a powerful GPU instead of focusing on Kinect,  The PS4 will probably be announced tomorrow.  I can see Sony wipe the floor with MS in the Next Gen race.