Xbox Network Connection Issues

So here's the problem, my Xbox all of a sudden for the past week will keep disconnecting from Xbox live. When I run a network connection tests it says there is a problem with my Xbox connecting to my network. However, this is the same network that has worked fine for over 2 years and has never given me problems. If I try to reconnect to Xbox live immediately when it knocks me off, sometimes it will connect and sometimes it will connect after hitting "connect to Xbox live" multiple times. However it then still keeps disconnecting. I know my router and modem are ok because I can connect to my wireless with my laptop and phone. (Though I am using a wired connection for my Xbox as it is an older generation (4 years old next week). My wired connection is through a set of two plugs that send the internet connection through the wall socket (not sure what they are called). Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Or do I need to send it off for repair? I've already gone through the support page and the troubleshooting pages to no avail.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

This could be a few things. Can you confirm via system logs that your router and modem are not disconnecting randomly/regularly? If you can view past logs, or look at them when this happens, just to rule out they are not causing this. Often a wired connection interruption on the router does not affect wireless, and therefore all looks at at that end. This is also true if you lose internet at the router, wireless will still look available, although you won't have internet.

Can you connect a laptop to the cable you normally connect to your xbox360? If you can, this would be good to see if the cable, or again, the router is the cause. Plug something else in that can use the connection for a while.

Lastly check the physical connection to the console and router, and any other related connections. Is everything in firm, and not likely to move or slip.

If the above all checks out, then yes, looks like you are down to the XBOX itself. You may want to get a repair quote before you go off and get one, since the release of XBOX ONE, it may be cheaper to get a new/preowned 360 console, which are now down in price.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.