Xbox - media player

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone can please point me in the right direction on how to setup the Xbox as a media player?

I have my Xbox hooked up through my router, which is also connected to a PC. Now when I download movies or music to my PC, my Xbox sometimes flat out refuses to see (and play) these files. Sometimes it can take days for the files to show up. This is something I have struggled with since owning an Xbox for the past 3 years. I have Googled every website, every forum, every article, with no solution in sight. It appears that for some bizarre reason, MS have decided to link WMP and the Xbox together somehow, so that the Xbox relies on WMP to feed the library back to the device. Now I'm under the impression that WMP has to "update the media library" for the Xbox to see these files, and it appears that WMP does this whenever it dam well feels like it (hence if its a bad day, the files won’t show up for hours or days). If it does decide to "update the media library", it sits there updating for sometimes 30 mins when I have only put 3 songs in the folder. Can someone please tell me how in the world I get this setup to work?

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Just check your folders you are sharing to WMP and be sure to open it (WMP) regularly if not daily. If I leave my PC on overnight I'll often open WMP just so it can update everything.

Maybe it's removing files as well as adding if it's taking 30mins, it should show the folders it's searching through. I'll just restart windows if i decides to just sit there.

Sometimes it can get stuck on an iTunes folder. Best bet is to remove it to somewhere else and make convert everything mp3s.

That's all I can think of sorry dude.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yea, used tversity for a while, but didnt seem to play nice with Airvideo for some reason, and need that to stream to a few iPhones. I'll just keep tinkering. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks man. My PC is left on all the time, with WMP running, so it has plenty of time to refresh the library, so not sure whats happening there. I have to log in before it will refresh the libaby for some reason. It will add the files if I remove the folder from the library and then re-add, but bit of a pain if I have to do this every time I want to listen to music or watch a new vid. Maybe a total system rebuild is in order.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

tversity is a great progam, should help you out

Sorry this didn't help.