Xbox making terrible grinding sounds!

When I boot my 360 up, sometimes it makes this terrible grinding sounds. It's consistent for a few seconds, stops and then starts back up, before eventually quitting just shortly after the dashboard loads. This is Xbox number 7 for me and I'm pretty damn strapped at the moment, so getting a new console is out of the question right now. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do at home to resolve the problem. I'm assuming it's either my fan or my disc tray. I'm against sending it to MS, because I've heard horror stories about people not getting their consoles back for ages, or getting previously broken refurb consoles, which I'm not ok with. The area in which my console sits does get relatively dusty, so there's a good chance it may just need cleaned, so I could just "carefully" open it up and attempt to clean it, but idk if MS frowns upon that or not. And I'd REALLY hate to send it in now, with MW3 just 3 weeks away :(!

It's also worth noting that the issue doesn't happen every time I turn the console on. Maybe 1 in 4 startups.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

It does sound like your console is on its last legs as it were.  You are not allowed to open the console as that is considered tampering and you risk getting console banned.  

Call support and talk to them about getting a repair.  I have sent consoles in in the past and the most I've waited to get it back was 2 weeks.  

In the future, try to find a different place to put it that is not so dusty.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.