Xbox live via WIFI with Comcast

So we have Comcast Xfinity and for some reason playing anything online other than Netflix results in a choppy connection.  I have logged into the modem through Internet Explorer and disconnected every device except the wired computer and the Xbox, and I STILL have a choppy connection.  NAT is open and each device is sitting within line of sight of each other.  No obstructions what so ever.

What I need to know is if anyone else has the same problem with Comcast?  And if so is there anything I can do to improve this connection?  Preferably while other devices are connected.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 47 Applies to:

Greetings DisturbedShifty!

Appreciate if you can post up the make and model of your modem and router. Also state whether you are using the black or white external wireless network adapter or the internal wireless network adapter (xbox 360 Slim). Do you have a wireless headset, for example Turtle Beach?

Thank you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello DisturbedShifty.

Along with the information taidara requested, would you be able to jump on a computer to do a few tests?

- First, go to the website "speedtest.net" and click on the Begin Test button when you see it.

- Next, run a ping test. On a Windows computer you can go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

- When you see the black screen with while lettering, type in "ping -t -l 1400 4.2.2.2"

- Let it run for about 5 minutes.

- Finally hit Ctrl+C to stop the test.

- We are looking for the packet loss percentage, MAX, and AVERAGE ping replies.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry about that meant to add that I have a Xbox slim.  And the gateway is a  Arris TG862G/CT.

As for the test Valdyr it reads as such:

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:

Packets: Sent = 508, Received = 507, Lost = 1 (0%),

Approxoimate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 49ms, Maximum = 153ms, Average = 55ms

Sorry if that is too much info.  But I figure better safe than sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having connection issues, except whenever I use Hulu Plus, it works just fine for me. I have the same model as DisturbedShifty, I also heard comcast is going to update the device because it has problems with 3rd party DNS servers like xbox. I have no idea when the release is, the sooner the better!

Sorry this didn't help.

To answer you both, the issue is with the Arris. I'll tell you why. When Comcast wrote the firmware for the TG862, they didn't run compatibility tests with all types of wireless devices. The short of it is that the Arris TG862 will not connect reliably to a handfull of wireless devices. 360s console, Kindle Fires, certain cell phones. They may connect every now and then, but won't more often. A wired connection isn't much better for the Xbox. We have seen random disconnections happen for seemingly no reason with that Arris from Comcast. Your best bet is to do one of two things:

- Work with your local Comcast payment center about getting a gateway that's not the Arris TG862. Some centers still have different gateways like the SMCD3GNV available.

- Buy your own wireless router like the D-Link DIR-655 or the Netgear WNDR 3700. Then, get Comcast to swap out your Arris gateway for a standalone modem like the Motorola SB6120 or something similar.

-- It is true that Comcast is working to fix  their firmware issue, however it is something they have been working on for over a year now, and I wouldn't hold my breath for a speedy resolution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and click on Line 6 of the list of devices. You'll see there that Compcast promises to replace it free of charge.

Sorry this didn't help.

Valdyr, Vibroplex you have my eternal gratitude.  That helped a lot.  Now I just have to convince my girlfriend to replace the modem.  LOL!

Sorry this didn't help.