Xbox Live via bridge connection

I live and work on a college campus. My laptop is running windows 7 and connects to the college's wireless network which is very fast. When I first connected to the network I had to input a static ip address which was given to me by my boss. It was the ip address, gateway, subnet mask, and two DNS servers. They work perfectly on my laptop.

I have an external wireless network adapter on my xbox 360 and I tried changing the ip address etc to something similar to the ones I was given and tried using the same DNS servers I was given and received a DNS error.

After having trouble with this I tried to ditch the wireless adapter and use a bridge connection via ethernet cord between my laptop and 360. On my laptop it says the connection is bridged and ready to go. When I try to connect to Live it shows up with a MAC filtering error. I used cmd ipconfig /all on my laptop to get an alternate MAC address to input on Live which ended up not working and I got the same error. 

I am at a loss what to do now. I can't just access the router because I'm on a college campus and don't have any control over that sort of thing. Please if anyone knows how I can get around this and just connect to Live I would greatly appreciate it! 

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hey there JGF!
It might be that the college campus where you live and work are blocking the network ports used by Xbox LIVE.

Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open:

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)

Do you have a personal firewall installed on your computer?

[quote user="JGFunkLives"]When I try to connect to Live it shows up with a MAC filtering error. I used cmd ipconfig /all on my laptop to get an alternate MAC address to input on Live which ended up not working and I got the same error. [/quote] Did you setup as following: http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs2/100-how-to-connect-to-xbox-live-at-uni-or-college

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

On a side note, you can't just change the IP address slightly because you may run into a conflict with someone else using that static IP address. Your boss may be issuing those out specifically. If your laptop is "off", you may be able to completely mirror those settings and not run into any issues. Not sure if they also use MAC filtering as a way to also control the traffic. If so you should be able to retrieve the MAC address from your wireless laptop adapter and set up your xbox's Alternate MAC Address as that. Try connecting to LIVE with your laptop OFF after that to see if you get any more conflicts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also a note, many college internet networks are setup to not allow for using devices such as video game consoles.

Sorry this didn't help.