Xbox Live versus Windows Live

I've got a windows live account mainly to use the Family Safety.  Under that I have my son as a family member but he doesn't have his own windows live account.  When signing up for xbox live on the xbox, it says to enter his email address and says IF he signs into hotmail or windows live, use that address.  Well he doesn't have either, so I just enter his normal email address.  Then it asks for the password he uses to sign in to hotmail and windows live, well he doesn't sign into those, so what do I do there?  After entering the password he'd like to use, we're told to "use your email address and password to sign into zume.net bing.com hotmail.com or windows live messanger".  Do I have to create an account on one of those for his first, then use that info to create his xbox live account?

Thanks a bunch!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Those sites use his Xbox live account information for login as well.

They are all the same under Microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you want to use his regular email address AS a windows live ID, you can just sign up by going to account.live.com and choosing "sign up" then you will have the option to "use your own email address".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.