Xbox Live Update Issue

I just had the update issue tonight. My call reference number is: 1154679228. I recorded my exchange with support and was advised the recording of my support call would be escalated and I would be personally contacted in 24-48 hours.

In essence I advised that I have purchased 5, maybe 6 XBox 360s. I always buy them in pairs, usually a few months apart. My XBoxes always fail, some generations fail consistently and the failure pattern is the same - Pair 1: Box 1 dies with RROD, Box 2 dies with the same problem a few months after the first - send em in for repair - get em back, box 1 dies with cd failure, a few months after - box 2 dies with same issue. Buy new pair of XBoxes. A few months after warranty expires (I think the first one was about a month after) CD Drive fails. A few months after that Box 2 pair 2 dies with same issue. Thats 4 Xboxes with 4 CD failures - 100% failure rate - really - what are the odds?

Had Pair 1 Box 1 CD Repaired locally - worked fine. Had Box 1 Pair 2 repaired locally - worked fine. Neither have broken after repair. Pair 2 Box 2 sits on a shelf - dead as a doornail - bad CD drive. Side note - Microsoft employee advises they had their Xbox for 6 years no problem - I'm left wondering why non Microsoft employees get the hardware with deficiencies - with a 100% failure rate how can this be?

Had the repair done locally cause well........... I'm upset that Microsoft keeps selling me what I consider to be defective hardware - I'm tired of sending hardware in for repair and getting it back and having another part break after I send it in for repair. Today 1 box is upgraded and refuses to connect to Xbox Live. I'm advised repaired box is considered "MODDED" and is a complete loss because of a driver issue. I'm an IT systems administrator - I'm insulted by that comment - I have to repair driver issues all the time on Windows servers - the servers are never a complete loss. I explained that if Microsoft competed on cost, quality of repair, and turnaround time no one would use anyone else. From my perspective this is anticompetitive behaviour. It was suggested my next step for escalation was to complain in a forum. I advised I've read the forums and consider that recommendation emotionally abusive.

I advised I would not have any issues if Microsoft sold hardware that is reliable and I consider it a terrible disservice to tell customers who spend over $1000.00 on hardware for personal use - only because it keeps breaking to try putting it writing so someone can respond in effect - its hopeless. I asked.... really? Why would anyone make that kind of recommendation to a customer?

It was explained to me that hardware does not last forever. I noted that I've bought at least five of these things (because of repeated hardware failures) and four have failed (the fifth is less than a year old) - some repeatedly. I noted that I have also purchased a PS2, a WII, gameboys, Computer Displays, a PSP, Computers etc. etc... and lets see.... in the last 15 years I had one display adapter and a power supply die. I've never had a hardware failure on any gaming system but Microsoft's. I cant give my working displays away - I have to pay someone to take them - same with the computers. One the other hand I've had all the XBOX failures noted above and now Microsoft is starting to make my working one's unusable.

I had adised the support rep - hey Microsoft - your not listening (let me repeat that) - hey Microsoft - your not listening - how bout you sell me something I dont need to keep getting fixed - how about competing on value? Dear Microsoft - Please listen to me. Please sell working hardware. Please compete on repairs based on cost and value - your a million times bigger than Joe Blow - there is no reason you cant do it faster, cheaper, and better. No one would use anyone else for repairs if you were competitive - you don't need to make systems unusable to justify inflated repair costs.

Please don't apply this update to my other boxes and screw them up. Please defer the update indefinitely. Please leave them just as functional as they were before you decided to improve them. Please return my XBox that is broke to its former working condition and again - defer this upgrade indefinitely (all of them appear to work just fine when you dont update them. Please leave them just fine. Here is a suggestion - if you think everyone wants this update - sell a new version of the Xbox that has this update on it - there is no reason they cant both work and the one with all the new value just does a little bit more. Leave everyone else just as functional as they were.

Please listen to my support call (1154679228), please listen to me.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would be mad!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not making excuses for MS, nor am I a "fan-boy", just an explanation.

To get a 3rd party DvD drive to work with your 360, the firmware must be flashed, (modded).

Which is what was done when you had it repaired by a local shop.

No matter the  reason, this violates the Terms of Service.

One of the purposes of this update was to reflash/update the 360's DvD firmware for the new disc format, (as well as security issues).

Any "modded" DvD drives were rendered useless.

Sorry, that's the risk taken when getting unauthorized repairs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still have the old drive - that does not work. I assume its not useless? Kinda Sorta. The failure rate is still unnacceptable to me. I don't have an inate interest in flaunting non-compliance - I have a significant interest in buying hardware that fails at a rate lower or equal to competitors or alternatively - not going broke trying to keep it running.

I have never ever bought any electronic device in my lifetime that fails as quickly, or as frequently, or in so many different ways as this Microsoft Product. The whole approach to failures and repair expenses reminds me of Tobacco companies and smokers - these failures cannot possibly be unintentional - not 4 out of 4 - not 100%.

Bill should be reading this - we need a vaccine against buying addictive products that appear to be built with a goal of sucking money out of the buyer through repetitive hardware failures. Not to mention the impact of all the trashed hardware on the environment . Hey Microsoft - want to save the earth? - build products that require fewer repairs and provide a fix for the one's your breaking to keep them out of landfills. You might even save a life or two.

I'm still waiting for my follow up return call from Microsoft promised me by support contact.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would be remiss if I did not suggest a solution Dear ODD, Microsoft, etc...:

Externalize the DVD Drive Connections and make it plug and play like Windows.

Benefits:

Happy Customers - Expanded Marketshare

Fewer System Failures - Expanded Market Share

More Competitive product - Expanded Market Share

Cheaper Product to Produce - Expanded Market Share - Higher Profits

Less Material in Landfills - Greener Earth

Less Material in Landfills and Fewer Reasons for Developing Companies to take everything apart - Healthier Human Beings

Less Wasted Resources - Greener Earth

No need to advise your partners they broke rule #12 - Better for Everyone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

with this update microsoft has made  it so that there can be no other option but to use them meaning no fair market competion. There no other atlerative but use them they say use an authorized repair person who other then them is authorized? So "Modding" yes this update is a Modification there cant be any fair market competion makeing this a Monoply didny microsoft already get in trouble for this and had to split the company into 2 parts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just reading the "agreement" - I like this part:

You must not:

use the Service to harm others or the Service (for example, you must not use the Service to harm, threaten, or harass another person, organization or Microsoft);

Is this like a bilateral agreement or unilateral?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe this will help - looks like they have an obligation to not charge users if the contract is no longer in force:

You authorize us to charge you for the Service and for any paid feature of the Service that you or the user of any associated account choose to use while this contract is in force using your payment method.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

btw - the Xbox I called support about - a 2009 dated model - died in 2010.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And the other one of the pair - the one sitting on a shelf with a dead CD drive - purchased about the same time and died within a couple of months of the other - this particular model was notorious for what I consider to be defective DVD drives.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interestingly enough - the first model they released the one we got RROD on (turned one of them on today and it croaked in 5 minutes after being turned on) actually lasted longer than the 2009 model.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 11 Applies to: