Xbox Live unable to connect - happens every 3 to 4 days - have to reset router

Hi all,

I have a Linksys E4200 router, 3 xboxes (2 are wired and 1 wireless all experience this issue).  I use my gamertag and my son's gamer tag on two differnt USB thumb drives so we can move around between the different Xboxes.  What happens every three or four days is that we can no longer connect to xbox live but network connectivity is fine i.e. can connect to media center and PCs on the network.  The xbox will take a long time to load (3 mintues) and then it doesn't connect to xbox live and fails the xbox live test as well.  The weird thing is that is does happen to both gamer tags at the same time.  Rebooting the router resolves the issue and everything connects again and very quickly.  I have reset the network settings on all three xboxes but this hasn't helped resolve the issue.

I am unsure what would cause this to work great for 3 to 4 days and then all of a sudden (i.e. logging in and connecting to xbox live) I cannot connect and then add in the fact that it does not happen to all gamer tags at once.  Once it does not work on one xbox it will not work on any of them so it is not specific to one xbox or the other.  I'm thinking it has to be router related but I'm not sure where to look/test when it only happens every 3 or 4 days and is resolved with a router reboot.

Thank you for any help and guidance that can be provided.

Jason

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

You say your reboot your router(power cycle) and it works. Ergo, the problem is the router.  Look into updating the firmware on the router

Play Safe!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

See above

Play Safe!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, the router is the current firmware.  I figure it was the router but it only is effecting connecting to xbox live so I thought I would try these forums first,perhaps there are settings to look for or some kind of time to live type of thing that causes it to stop xbox live every three to four days.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Jason Caldwell! Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you had a chance to take a look at this sticky: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx ? If you haven't yet I would recommend doing so and if necessary filling out and posting your responses to the last section in bold here. That will help offer us some insight into the issue so we can start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.