Xbox Live sign in problems

Okay, so here's the situation. My brother created an Xbox Live account somewhere in 2009 or 2010. The Microsoft account that's linked to was used solely to create his gamertag. He didn't use the Microsoft account for anything else.

As time passed, he began to lost interest in console gaming, and didn't play Xbox Live for over a year.

However, now that we have Grand Theft Auto V, my brother suddenly wants to get on Xbox Live again. When he signs in, he is greeted by the new security proof message telling him to sign in with his Microsoft account email address and password. He knows the email address, but he doesn't know the password. (I think my brother was still on hiatus when the new security proofs system was implemented and might have not been aware of it.)

We've tried to recover the account using the online account recovery form, but it asks for things such as the subjects of the emails sent. My brother never sent any emails with the Microsoft account. It also asks for credit card information, but he never charged a credit card to his account (for Xbox Live Gold).

I don't know what to do now. Is there anything I can still do? Or is my brother S.O.L.?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Fill out the form stuff and all that. It should give you a confirmation number or the like. You can take that number, along with some console information, to Xbox Live phone support. They'll ask for some specific console information (must be a console the profile has been on - I believe it needs to be the primary console) and escalate. Escalations are like 3 weeks behind right now, so it might be a while before they can do anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to fill it out the best I can, but the only things I could fill out were the first name, last name, birth date, and country. The form was never send out because it said that I have to complete more fields. However, that's all I know about the account.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tested it on an old MSA. I see what you mean. Try having him add in some potential passwords. I added two (and did them wrong just to check) and submitted it. It took it then.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll try it, but I keep hearing that if you have too many incorrect answers on the account recovery form, then you will never ever recover your account (and thus, my brother would never be able to connect to Xbox Live again), and that's why I'm a bit afraid of doing it. I might have also seen posts stating that the recovery form option will no longer be available after too many incorrect answers. Anyone know if this is really true?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi The Last Flight,

I would say go for it. I have seen people fail twice, and then pass the third time they submit the form.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Will anything happen if I fail the recovery form too many times?

Sorry this didn't help.

okay well I can say is that when you fill out that form your brother did not send any emails from that account its fine just leave it blank and for bank information if he never used a credit card leave it blank and know, what you can do if your brother can still call xbox support and still get access to his account that way, he may ask them to provide the information he may be missing like the mailing address and the zip code of see if there was a credit card on file and if so get the last four digits and the expiration date with that. You will need your console ID that the gamertag was last on and the ACSR request number it may start with a 102****** by now it use to be 101***** and it could take up too 3days the most is a week.  Trust me on this one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah did it work

Sorry this didn't help.

Filling out the account recovery form worked. I didn't need to call Xbox Support. Thanks guys!

Sorry this didn't help.