Xbox Live Severe Lag Issue

Hey guys!

Okay!  So, I have this complex issue with my connection to Xbox Live.  My router is a Linksys WTR54GL and my modem is a **** provided by my ISP.  Now, I have a perfect connection to the internet and my smartphone, pages load instantly as well as videos.  When it comes to Xbox Live however, the lag is terrible and unplayable.  I have tried port owarding the correct ports, enabling UPnP, and disabling my firewall.  I called my ISP to activate the bridge on the modem but that didn't help much.  The weird thing is, is that when I disable my UPnP, even though I have a strict NAT the lag is completely gone.  I do know it's not suppose to be like this and I've been having this problem for the past two months.  For me the Linksys router I've had for the past 8 years (WRT54GS) has been awesome.  But for some reason this happened recently.  I think it's something with the modem because it occured when I got my modem replaced by my ISP.  My MTU is auto by the way.  I tested my ping and the likes on Speedtest and my ping is at an average of 15, and my downloads are near perfect.  I have no idea on how to fix this and I've spent countless hours on trying to.  Can anyone help me? Oh by the way, I can't play words with friends on my tablet either, so it probably has to do with the router or modem. 

Thanks a bunch!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

United States / New York

Arris TG862

Linksys WRT54GL

Internal adapter

I have tried enabling UPnP, it's open when enabled but lags, when it's strict it doesn't lag

Strict NAT

No error codes

Time Warner Cable

And no error codes come up

And yes I meant WRT, I'm sorry

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks! I contacted them and it is set in bridge mode.   This helped a lot, but after a few hours of playing, my Xbox live started lagging again

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't do a wired connection, and I don't have any security method enabled on my router  should I have one enabled?  And switching the wireless channel from 6 to 11 worked great and no I do not

Sorry this didn't help.

The amount of lag is a consistent hiccup every minute or so, it's tiny but it's consistent

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there anything else we can do?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still have a tiny bit of lag though

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there could you run a Network connection test and get back to us with the following information?

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
Modem brand & model number: 
Router brand & model number: 
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:
X:
Y:
Z:
ID:
L:
Q:
T:
D:
S:
C:

To check your network connection: From the xbox dashboard,  'Settings' tab>'system'>'Network Settings'>'Test Xbox Live Connection'>Press 'Y' for more info once the test has completed

Also, if you'd like, you can also look through HERE to see if you can find anything that may be able to help you with the issue while you wait for a reply. I couldn't find a wtr54gl linksys so I assumed you meant wrt not wtr.

Sorry this didn't help.

Contact your ISP and have them know about your situation, so they can configure your gateway, to be operating in bridge mode.

-

Post back and let us know how that goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, let's see if we could narrow this down. 

Let's start with some basic maneuvers and see where it leads us and we'll go from there.

Could you tell us if your console is connected wired, or wireless with the router and if you experience any connection hick-ups, regarding your other devices (e.g laptop, tablet etc.).

Visit Linksys website and make sure your router is up-to-date with the latest version of firmware. Note! Whenever you install a new software version for your router, make sure you restore your router to factory defaults/settings after the installation is finished.

Access the Linksys web utility interface and go to firewall settings. If Block/Filter Anonymous Internet Requests is present, make sure this feature is disabled/turned off. Also, make sure UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled/turned on. If you have manually configured network ports for Xbox traffic, to be forwarding, (Port Forwarding/Virtual Server) make sure this is turned off as with DMZ. Save/Apply and reboot the router.

On your console, go to Xbox network settings and select Configure Network. Select the Additional Settings tab and select Restore network settings to factory defaults. If wireless: Reconfigure Xbox wireless settings. If wired: Press "B" on your controller and select Test Xbox LIVE Connection

You may also consider clearing the Xbox system cache. This will remove temporary files from the system cache. Here's how! 

Post back and let us know how that goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it possible with a wired connection to your router then?

Which security method do you use to secure your wireless network (WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK with AES encryption)?

You could try use a different wireless channel to broadcast. Whenever you have devices inside of your home or close-by wireless networks, that's operating on the same radio frequency that you use, the surrounding airwaves could easily become crowded from signals, operating on the same frequency. If the default channel "auto" are left on the router, change the wireless channel manually to one of the preferable channels, 1, 6, 11, that are non-overlapping channels.

Also, do you have a wireless headset (e.g Turtle Beach) with a digital RF transmitter?

Keep us posted! 

Sorry this didn't help.