Xbox live recognises my network but wil not connect??

When running my xbox live connection test, the xonsole recognises my network name.

However, when i run the test, it fails repeatedly at the first stage (between the xbox and my internet network name)

It has never had this problem before but i have recently changed routers. however, i have followed all the internet guidance on DCHP and DNZ etc but my EDIMAX AR7284wna router will still not connect to my xbox which is extremely frustrating.

Has anyone else had a similar problme with such a router or can anyone provide me with some help please.

Many thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 528 Applies to:

Things that keep a wireless adapter from connecting

1. Most common thing is not getting the KEY or Passphrase correct.
 A. Keys and passphrases are case sensitive, make sure you are typing it correctly; including upper case and lower case letters.
 B. Passphrases and SSIDs can change, without notice, in some routers with features that keep them from having duplicate setups of nearby networks. Make sure you "really" know what your passphrase or key is set at.
 C. Other members of your household may have changed the passphrase/key.  Again, make sure you really know what the passphrase/key is set at in your router.
 D. Using passphrase when you need a key. Some routers allow you to enter a passphrase for a WEP security feature. From that passphrase the router generates a key (or four keys). Make sure you use the WEP "key", not the passphrase, and make sure it is the "first" key.

2. Incompatible methods of encryption  (WEP, WPA, WPA2)
  Some routers may use non-standard methods to encrypt the wireless signal.  If your router uses WEP , try changing it to WPA2.  WPA2 is the most recent method and may be the most reliable and secure.

3.  MAC filtering can block your Xbox from connecting.
       MAC filtering is a feature in many routers that adds another level of security.  It is a way of only allowing "certain" machines to connect to the router.  If your Xbox's MAC address is not on the router's "Allowed" list, your Xbox will not connect; even if you have the right passphrase/key

4.  Distance from router. 
 Wireless can only cover fairly short distances.  If you get more than 20 feet from the router, you could have various kinds of issues, including not being able to connect. Move your Xbox and router closer together. The distance that can be covered reliably will be different for each setup; it may be shorter than 20 feet for some, and maybe longer than 20 feet for others. It depends on what kind of obstacles are in the way and the electromagnetic environment in your area.

5.  Interferance.
 Wireless connections naturally depend on radio "waves".  Waves are always subject to possible interferance; where one wave cancels out another.  Interferance can come from other electronic devices (like TV sets, phones, bluetooth stuff, neighbor's networks,etc). Sometimes trying a different wireless channel setting in your router will help. Also changing radio bands can help.

6.  Incompatible Radio bands.
 Wireless routers typically can work on two bands of frequencies; 2.4 ghz  and 5 ghz.  If your wireless router is set for one type of band and your wireless adapter is set for the other type of band, they will not see each other and cannot connect. Make sure your router and your adapter are compatible with each other. Keep in mind that the wireless adapter built-in to the new Xbox slim is only a 2.4ghz adapter will not work on the 5ghz band.

7.  Incompatible standards (802.11a,b,g,n)
 A "standard" is a method of communicating and connecting that is defined by an accepted organization and followed by many companies that build wireless stuff. If your adapter uses one method and your router uses another method, they won't be able to connect.  So make sure your router and adapter are both using the same methods.

8.  Duplicate Network Names (SSID)
 If there are other networks nearby with the same name (SSID) this can cause your Xbox to have trouble connecting.  Make sure your SSID is unique.

9. Mixed mode settings in the router.
 Some routers handle sifting between a,b,g and N pretty well;  but some don't.  If your Xbox connects using "n" and someone turns a laptop on, that needs to use "g" the router may drop all connections when trying to shift to the "g" mode.  Try setting the router up to use only one mode.

More information
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/EngineeringBlog/043010-WirelessNetworking

A good general way to troubleshoot wireless problems is to start by setting your wireless router up in a very basic configuration.  Disable any security (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and disable any MAC filtering. Set the wireless mode to a simple "g-only" mode.  Move your Xbox as close to the router as you possibly can, perferably in the same room. Then see if your Xbox will connect.  If it does, you can start turning the features of your router back on, one at a time, until you find the one that is giving you problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mine to

Sorry this didn't help.

De Menace is correct in his suggestions. To simplify, first check your password. Make sure that you both using the correct password and that you are using caps where caps are needed (Network Passwords are case sensitive). If you are sure that is correct, then you may need to adjust your settings a bit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Look....the forum is filled with people having connection issues to Xbox Live.  There is something wrong with the Xbox Live servers/connection.  I have two xboxes at my home right now and one will connect just fine and the other will not.  I host lan parties every Saturday with 4 - 6 xboxes and we have never had this problem before.  The router is configured properly, however, one xbox will not connect (it has its own xbox live gold profile).  Fix the issues instead of passing it on to people's hardware.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Every IP in my household has perfect internet usage.  Neither one of my xbox consoles will connect to xbox live, but the internet is working, the xbox also acknowledges this.  This isn't a run of the mill copy paste answer question.

Sorry this didn't help.

All.... the OPs thread is a year old!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a way to fix that, but it all depends on how close your router is... I would suggest using an ethernet cord... Also some times it could be when you are far away from the Router and your xbox can't pick up the connection. This has happened to me before and all I could recommend is that you move the xbox 360 closer to a router, and also use an ethernet cord

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, everyone. As Shad0wman noted, this thread is a year old. In the future please be mindful of the original post date of a thread before posting a reply. This will prevent bumping of very old threads such as this one.

CrashingBirch45, if you need assistance I'd like to request you make a new thread. Please be sure to detail out your exact situation and post your responses to the questions in bold at the bottom of this page: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx. This will enable us to provide you with the best support possible for your issue.

Thank you! :)

Sorry this didn't help.