XBox Live random friend log off times

I log in and see I have 2 friends on line.  One of them doesn't say anything for 15min.  I call them on the phone.  They went to sleep an hour ago.  I check...they are still logged in.  I log into their profile on my machine.  Immediately it shows they are on my machine.  I turn off the XBoX.  They are still on my machine??!  10min later they are no longer online.

His machine keeps him logged in for 1 hour.

My machine keeps him logged in for 1min.

I thought if you are online, you are online.

I thought if you are offline, you are offline.

In the game Age of Empires Online, I had a similar problem.  I log into my XBox, and it shows I have 4 friends playing AOE.  WOW!  So, I get off my XBox, jump on the PC and none of them exist every time I whisper them???!  15min later, I get a yellow-ish orange text showing they are logged in.  What?  They've been logged in.

There is some weird goofy delay in logging out and in making people appear to be online when they are not.  Why?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hello Shim! Thank you for your post. I do need a little bit of clarification, however. When you say "His machine keeps him logged in for 1 hour. My machine keeps him logged in for 1min." Could you expand on that a little bit? Specifically, I'm interested to know where those figures come from. :)

Also, I need to mention that logging into your friend's profile is a violation of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use (www.xbox.com/.../LiveTOU), and we would strongly advise against that. :) Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.