Xbox Live Proofs

So I go to play my Xbox and I see that for some reason I can't login to Xbox live or sign in to my account because I need to "prove" its me.  I then confirm my email and type in my password just to see that it then requires ANOTHER email.  Ok I did that part, and now it's telling me it needs my phone number and a texting number as well!?  This is ridiculous.  And the excuse is that it is all just to "protect my account".  Really?  It's clear that the goal of this is to attain as much information from me, the consumer, as possible.  I really doubt this is to "protect my account".  I do not feel comfortable providing a phone number or any more information than I already have; and that shouldn't stop me from signing in to my account.  I repeat, I should NOT have to provide my phone number or any other information to be able to sign in to my account.  

I'm growing tired of all this "added security for YOUR protection" Bull crap that is clearly just a way of getting more of my information that I should NOT have to provide to enjoy my console.

If I cannot access my account without having to provide a phone number or any other unnecessary information then that's as far as I'll go with my Xbox 360, I won't touch it again and I will not even consider purchasing the next generation Xbox console if I know it will also require an unnecessary amount of information.  

I hope you can do something about this because the Xbox 360 is a great console that keeps getting held back more and more by added "security" measures and ad's plastered over the dashboard.  

Here is some information from my perspective as a consumer that should actually be useful to you;  I got very frustrated that not only was I paying for Xbox Live just to be able to play online and use video apps when Sony offers that for free, but on top of that my dashboard is plastered in ads.  Since then I have decided not to renew Xbox live.

I was strongly considering purchasing the next generation Xbox when it comes out but as time goes on I am almost 100% sure I will not invest in another Microsoft console because of these reasons:

Sony provides free online (that includes multiplayer and video apps)

Sony has very few ads on their "dashboard"

Microsoft raised the Xbox Live price AND has kept adding more and more ads.  If your going to have that many ads then at least reduce the price of Xbox Live.

Microsoft keeps REQUIRING more and more information just to simply sign in to an account, to the point where I can't even pickup my game where I left off without providing a phone number...that is ridiculous. 

Its hard to justify to myself purchasing any more consoles from Microsoft or even continuing to use the one I already have when I can see that the competition offers so much more for so much less.  

For now I hope you at least allow me to login to my account without giving you any more unecessary information or phone numbers etc.  

Thank you,

Xbox 360 owner.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

Proofs: Microsoft Accounts now require 'proof' data, to allow you to 'prove' who you are using 'Two-Factor Verification'.

This is wise given that off-the-shelf hardware and easily found open source software can crack passwords in very little time (see arstechnica.com/.../25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours ).

So, since Microsoft is security minded and protects your account data, they added proofs to secure your account. And, since Xbox LIVE accounts are built on top of Microsoft Account security, that applies to gamers like you and me. Proofs are:

1) A phone # (preferably a cell # to text you a message - very convenient when away from home)

2) An alternate email address (which can be used to send a password reset confirmation to)

3) A 'Trusted PC' (requires Windows Vista or later + the free Microsoft Windows Live Essentials app - very optional and won't work on a Mac or Linux boxen)

4) A Security Question and Secret Answer

If you don't have these filled in, you will be required to do to, so visiting http://account.live.com/ and clicking on Edit security info is a good idea. answers.microsoft.com/.../79321863-cf01-44f3-a181-87f531c5129e

This new info doesn't add anything of any value to be resold, as you suggested above, it's just to give Microsoft folks more ways to be sure of your identity (I mean, what good could the secret answer do anyone for money?)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your prompt reply Vibroplex.  

I kind of expected this type of reply.

Unfortunately I don't feel like I should be required to provide a phone number to use my console so I suppose that's that, seeing as to how I can't resume playing my games since I can't sign in; that is as far as I will go with any Microsoft consoles and knowing this will be required, I do not plan on purchasing any future consoles from Microsoft.  

I understand that there is probably not much you can do about it Vibroplex but perhaps a Microsoft higher up will come across my original post and this reply so that they can realize that a lot of customers are upset about this.  

It feels like Microsoft are putting up barriers where the competition has none and it is quite frustrating.  

Thank you Vibroplex.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.