Xbox LIVE Parental Controls

Okay. So, I got my Xbox when I was 17, and thus set myself up a child's account. Thinking I could get around having a child's account, I deleted the parental account 'controlling' my account. I have been 18 for almost a year now. Xbox LIVE now requires an update which I cannot access because I need the parental account to allow me to get this update. I have gone on to the Xbox LIVE website, I have logged in, I have even changed the account associated with mine (email wise). However I have encountered three problems. Problem 1: when I first log in to the Xbox LIVE website I have a terms and agreement page to agree to. I agree to it, it takes me to the parental log in page, I log in with the email address I have linked my account to (via said website) and it takes me back to the terms and agreement page. So I am going in circles. Problem 2: an email has been sent to the parental email address. I click on the link to verify, and it takes me to a page that says that this is not the account that needs to be verified. Problem 3: I have followed to instructions given in this website (to log in as the child account, then go to my account etc) but when I go to 'my account' to be able to change the online privacy settings, it brings me to a page that tells me there is an error and that I have found a glitch in the system. Is this just because it is a bank holiday in the UK (it took me to the same page yesterday, and throughout the day today). I am so stuck as to where to go next, and have been going round in circles since Christmas (when I first encountered that Xbox LIVE needed an update) and really don't know what else to do. Can anyone offer me any suggestions at all as to what I can do? Thank you in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 45 Applies to:

Hi Samantherrrrr94,

Sorry to hear about that frustration. You will need the login information for the parent account that was tied to your account. You say you deleted the parent account? How?

Was the associated parent account actually owned by your parent, or is it one that you created? Have you checked with the parent who owns the account about being able to log into it or provide their login credentials for helping you gain access?

Please get back to us with that info when you're able. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Mister Iffic

I deleted the profile/avatar that was created when I created my profile.

I also made no note of the details of the parent account before I deleted their avatar as I didn't think I would need it again.

Is there anything I can do that isn't making a new account?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried to associate a new email/account with my account - but the email is saying that this isn't the account that needs verifying?

I am going to try to get to the 'my account' page on the Xbox website, as it has had a glitch for the past two days.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly, the same problem. Can't accept terms of licence, tell me to connect with a parental account, but I don't remember at all what I put.

I'm now 22 years old and I can't play my game bought last week end...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Samantherrrrr94. I would suggest trying to download the parent profile again, however if you don't know the information, then you won't be able to redownload the profile. I would go to xbox.com/forgot and see if you can recover the email and password associated with the parent account.

If you're unable to recover the parent account, I'd use the support.xbox.com/contact-us page to set up a phone support call and see if they can assist you.

Aceman, I'd suggest the same thing. Try xbox.com/forgot to see if you can recover the parent account information. Log into the parent account and promote your child account.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the answer to our problem DMX Aceman - it's been sorted for me so I hope that I can help you.

I phoned Xbox support (for me it was an 0800 number as I am from the UK) and I was told to do another password reset form and email it there and then (for the parent account). I came back to me and said that I haven't supplied enough information so the guy on the end of the phone told me to read him out a little number at the bottom of the screen. After about 35 minutes, I had the email address that I had used when I set up the parent account and thus only needed to reset the password.

A couple of hours later, I received an email from Microsoft Xbox Customer Care Advocacy Team about my issues with resetting the password to the parent account - if you give enough of the information to Xbox support over the phone they send your request to these guys.

I didn't reply the same day so I received another email asking me again but making me politely aware that if they didn't receive a reply from me in the next two days that I would have my request closed. The email asks you to fill in lots of details, as to make sure it is the account holder they are conversing with. I sent the information email around 7pm at a few hours later I received the password reset email and have now got an adults account.

Moral of the story: phone Xbox support - I truly recommend it.

I've been having problems since the update in September '12 and it got sorted in 3 days.

Hope that this can help you? :) x

Sorry this didn't help.