Xbox Live on Windows 8 Final: Can't connect

Sorry if I'm not supposed to be posting here, but I added a comment to this thread (http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/311635.aspx) in the Connecting to Xbox Live forum where a Belgian guy had issues with connecting to Xbox live on his final version of Windows 8 from MSDN. But got an answer from Mister Barakus that "since I'm on the preview I need to post in another forum" with a link that redirects me to a "Group Not Found" page and then he locked the thread as answered. I hope it's not wrong to post here, if so let me know and I won't do it again...

As stated in the previous post I downloaded the final build of Windows 8 from my MSDN account (registered under my work live id which doesn't have much action, thus I use my private live id to try out the features of Win8) and have issues connecting to the xbox live services since then.

I've been running the release preview for a while before and set up a Xbox live account connected to my live id when I was running the RP and it worked great playing
Wordament and stuff there.

Yesterday I upgraded to the MSDN final release (6.2.9200) chosing to keep my user files and since then I can no longer connect to XBox live. The "Games" app just stands logging in indefinately (waited 5+ minutes). Mahjong asked if I wanted to allow it to access my live id, but then the login in the top corner circled a couple of time "logging in" and then I got the "Vi vet inte vad som hände. Försök igen eller kom tillbaka senare. Gå till Xbox.com om du vill ha hjälp", which is Swedish for like "We don't know what happened. Try again or come back later. Go to Xbox.com if you want help.".

Minesweeper didn't ask permission, but the login circle turned a couple of rounds and after that I got the same message as in Mahjong.

I'm writing this from my final Win8 installation and have no issues getting "auto-logged-in" through IE (both desktop and metro), so in that aspect the network and xbox live account seem fine. I also found this web site (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/network-ports-used-xbox-live) with ports to forward to allow full use of xbox live. I forwarded all except TCP 80 to this machine since I have a http server already set up on another machine connected to the same router (why would Xbox live need port 80 forwarded?), but to no avail even after putting the machine in DMZ.

Tried to connect both last night and several times today without success. Is the Xbox live for Win8 final not yet live or is there something I can do to be able to log in?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, it seems like I'm in the wrong place here since all I get is to go somewhere else, even though the error message directed me here...

In the link you provide the available windows version to ask questions for is consumer preview and release preview and since I'm on the final verison it seems a bit wrong, but I suppose I will try there anyway. I was mostly interested to know if the xbox live is supposed to work for the final version of Windows 8 yet, or if that will come later closer to general availability of the OS?

And also if regions might cause an issue here? I'm running a US English version of Win8 Pro with Swedish location and formats and I don't really know if I had Swedish or default US location set when I registered the account if that matters?

I did try to switch to US, but it didn't seem to help. This is the third day since install and I still get the same error messages, so it doesn't seem temporary...

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll be damned... It started working all of the sudden today without me changing anything. This morning when I logged in to windows I still had the same issue, but now it all of the sudden started working.

The only thing I've changed from before is the time zone that I saw was defaulted to us pacific time to Swedish, but I doubt that was the issue...

But now all is fine, let's hope it stays that way :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for letting us know Souldr1nker! If the issue pops up again, or you encounter a new issue make sure to visit the site Vibroplex linked above as they are best equipped to help you (I believe that should have been the link Mister B provided, sorry about the group not found error!). Well, glad it's resolved and happy gaming :)

Sorry this didn't help.