XBox Live not working

OK so my XBox has worked fine for about a year, then all of a sudden started having major issues one time when I tried to recover my gamertag from my friend's Xbox. At first, it said it was corrupted, so I deleted it from the hard drive and recovered again - finally got this to work. However, whenever I try to do anything on Xbox Live now, it goes horribly slow. For instance, I hit the center button to try and sign out my default XBox Live profile. It takes MINUTES for the menu to even pop up, never mind load everything. When I test my XBox Live connection, it takes forever, but eventually will say the connection has been successful.

I have tried numerous procedures from all different types of help sites to no avail. I have reason to believe it is NOT my Internet connection. I use a wired connection plugged directly into a modem. When I use the same ethernet cable on my laptop, it works fine. When I use my other ethernet cable, the same issue occurs. My laptop has no problem using the regular Internet from my modem, it is just that for whatever reason XBox is having a very tough time handling it. My gut says something is wrong with the XBox itself, but I am very confused.

Once again, I am not talking about minor lag issues. Literally things such as signing out an XBox Live-connected profile, something that normally takes a few seconds, takes upwards of 10 minutes. The XBox works fine with offline play. As soon as a profile attempts to sign into XBox Live, that is when the problems begin.

Thanks for any help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I've also noticed some significant problems since the new update to both console and this website. I can't even find out where to go to find out why I only have three options in Netflix...WTH?, where'd they all go...and the times to load these apps is atrocious along with trying to use the xbox guide button for anything...this needs to get fixed asap, especially considering you can't be on live without the current update, which has severely r slowed my system down. I'd think I had a day one 360 with 500000 miles on it and no room on the hard drive...in fact it kind of acts like other M$ products, i'e, pc's and laptops when their virtual memory gets full......QUIT UPDATING stuff like this...it worked fine....now if I can find the correct forum for this I'd be in good shape!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My XBL account was corrupted too, I noticed everything was working fine BUT the new May 23rd update. It is now saying that it is not able to download the update and says go to the xbox support section, but theres no information on what to do. I still dont have the update or Xbox Live. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

OP, I'm curious if this is a memory issue. Does the same issue occur when all memory devices are removed from the console? For other posters in this thread who are not having the same issue, please create a new thread so we can give you our full attention and help resolve your issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not a memory issue as I now have a MUCH slower 360 than BEFORE the u[date. For instance, I log into Netflix, takes a full 2 minutes, every time, log into game market place, full 2 minutes before any images are displayed, starting a netflix movie? Forget it, like 3 to 4 minutes, and don't even touch the guide button on the controller, that'll take 30 seconds to load up....all this AFTER the new update. Not impressed...at all. And no, it's not my system, my 8 month old halo reach console 250 gig hd of which 150 gig is still free....not MY system.....nor is it my internet, as I have 30 meg speed and NOTHING else in this house is affected, oh and my 360 is hard wired, not wireless.....how 'bout we remove the update and get one that works correctly....before releasing it....this isn't the first update to cause problems either....yeah you know what I'm taking about....

Sorry this didn't help.

Just tested it with no memory devices in and the same problems exist. I had a feeling this was the case considering there are 206 GB of free space on my hard drive. Anyhow, my problems seem to be similar to OneBgBdArtemis's, except they seemed to start with some XBox Live Update from early April - I stopped playing for awhile and figured it would fix itself but it has not.

Tomorrow I will be bringing my XBox to my friend's house to see if it runs off his Internet. If it still has problems, which I'm assuming it will considering all the other comps in my house run fine off of the same modem and ethernet cords, then that proves that either something is wrong with the XBox itself (unlikely) or one of the updates that was downloaded.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I tested it on my friend's internet and it still does not work. The same "everything takes forever" problem still exists.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, can you try recovering your Gamertag onto your friend's console, to see if the GT has the same issues there? If the profile doesn't have any issues, we'll know it's definitely your console causing the issue (as we'll have tested the profile, memory device, and internet connection).

At this case, you'll want to check your warranty status and set up a repair. You can do both here.

Sorry this didn't help.