XBOX live keeps disconnecting

So my xbox keeps randomly disconnecting from xbox live, it could be every 5 mins or every hour its random. It generally only happens if im not actually playing anything, like downloading demos, dlcs or making emblems etc. It will happen sporadically during games but not so much, in addition if in party chat with people but not in their specific game i will constantly drop from the chat and sometimes rejoin instantly every couple of minutes. It happens in all games i play and every modem/router. I know its not my internet connection as home computers dont lose connection its just the xbox. Heres all the usual info; What Country/State/Province do you live in? Australia Modem brand & model number: Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit ADSL2+ modem router DGND3700 Router brand & model number: Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit ADSL2+ modem router DGND3700 If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? my connection is wired Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown; Unknown Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? Nat is open Any Error Codes you encounter: NO Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? OPTUS W: 0000-000B X: 0000-F001 Y: 20A8-4840 Z: 0000-0000 ID: FFFF-FFFF L: 0015-10F0 Q: 8015-100C T: wired A: 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 G: 192.168.0.1 D: 192.168.0.1/0.0.0.0

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2018 Views 9,275 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sounds like the local profile is out of date. I'd start by clearing the system cache (it's just temporary files plus game updates, automatically reloaded) by:

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button on the controller, go 2 clicks right to Settings, pick System Settings.

2) Select Storage (or Memory if Storage).

3) Move over any hard drive or memory unit (not the Cloud) & press (Y) on your controller & pick Clear System Cache.

4) When asked to confirm storage device maintenance, choose Yes.

Delete profile from your console

1) go to www.xbox.com/accounts & click on Sign in at upper right - if you can't sign in then ** STOP: DON'T ** delete your profile. Please call Xbox Support http://tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers Option 2 for help with your account. If you can sign in, delete & redownload your profile on your Xbox this way:

2) Go to Settings - pick System - choose Storage - pick All Devices - choose Gamer Profiles

3) pick the gamertag choose Delete, and pick Delete Profile Only.

This deletes the profile but leaves saved games and achievements. Now, re-download your profile.

Re-download

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button

2) Select Download Profile (and if you don't see it, press the blue X button to make sure you're not signed in) and proceed with Profile Download.

3) Enter the Microsoft Account addresse for your Xbox LIVE gamertag when asked.

4) Enter the password for the Microsoft Account.

4A) If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Windows Live ID & password is required as well to download your profile.

5) Pick the storage device for your profile (choose Hard Drive if you have one, or Memory Unit if you don't have a Hard Drive).

6) When the download completes you will be asked if you want the console to remember your password. If it's your home console, I'd say yes, otherwise I'd think carefully about leaving my profile unprotected on somebody else's Xbox!

7) Sign in, and retry.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Should that fail, then I would try a sequential power cycle, a very successful step in clearing connection problems. The order and timing of the steps is important to success:

1) turn off the Xbox & unplug its power cord then

2) unplug power from the Netgear gateway

3) Wait at least 5 minutes then replug the Netgear power.

4) Wait 'til the light on the front of the Netgear which says ONLINE, READY, BROADBAND or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the Xbox and turn it on.  

For more background on Ports, see whatismyipaddress.com/port 

Sorry this didn't help.

cheers this appears to have worked. i hope it holds lol

Sorry this didn't help.

If not, please let us know!

Sorry this didn't help.

Try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and plug back in and wait 30 seconds.

Sorry this didn't help.

IT DIDNT WORK!

so i tried the local profile out of date procedure - worked for about an hour and then the disconnecting started happening again.

Then tried the sequential power cycle - it had no effect.

So i still drop out of partys unless im in the same game, and i still disconnect from xbox live if i dont do anything for about 5 mins

Sorry this didn't help.

IT DIDNT WORK!

so i tried the local profile out of date procedure - worked for about an hour and then the disconnecting started happening again.

Then tried the sequential power cycle - it had no effect.

So i still drop out of partys unless im in the same game, and i still disconnect from xbox live if i dont do anything for about 5 mins

sorry i was logged in as my other account

Sorry this didn't help.

Hiya Kiwi,

Do you have any others devices like PCs connected to your modem router at the same time? If so, just as an isolation test, could you try and switch off all the other devices so that only the Xbox 360 is using your modem router and try that out for an hour or so?

Sorry this didn't help.

that doesnt help either. I have also plugged the xbox into a plain modem with no wireless and nothing else plugged into it, the disconnection issues still happen......

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright no worries - next step, you mentioned in the first post that you are using wired. Are you able to try wireless and see if that is any different? Also it's possible that your network cable could be faulty, so it may be worth trying a different cable from the Xbox to the modem router.

Also given that you've tried modem router and a different modem and the problem remains, it could very much be a problem with your ISP and Internet connection.

You may want to contact your ISP to see if there are any known issues.

If you don't want to contact your ISP, you could try and take your Xbox 360 to a friends house or family member's house to test it on their Internet connection to see if there is any difference. That will determine if the issue is with your ISP/Internet connection.

Let us know how you go!

Sorry this didn't help.