Xbox LIVE is disconnecting very frequently

Hello, for the past week and a half my Xbox has been disconnecting from LIVE very frequently. It is constantly dropping connections while trying to watch Netflix and playing games and will randomly sign out of LIVE while I am just sitting at the dashboard. There is no error message associated with this, it just says that it disconnected from LIVE.  This is especially frustrating while playing multiplayer games through LIVE and when it kicks me out of Netflix.  I can't watch a show for more than 10 minutes without this happening.

After browsing the forums, it seems like many people are having similar issues, but each entry says that others with this issue should create a new post, so here it is. I hope you can help!

What Country/State/Province do you live in? US/IL
Modem brand & model number:
  Westell MSTATEA
Router brand & model number:
  Linksys WRT54G2

Things you have tried:
Switched between wired and wireless connections
Restarted all network hardware
Manually configured network settings in the Xbox to provide a static IP (I have since removed these settings because they they had no effect)
Confirmed that the correct ports are forwarded in my router
Re-downloaded LIVE profile
Spoken with ISP to confirm it is not a problem on their end or with my internet connection

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:
T 0000 - 000B
X:
0000 - F001
Y:
20A8 - 4840
Z:
0000 - 0000
ID:
FFFF - FFFF
L:
0015 - 10F0
Q:
8007 - 0435
T:
Wired
D:
68.94.156.1/68.94.157.1
S:
C:

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

same issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same. And have followed those troubleshooting steps. Nats open, ports open, tried direct modem connection...nothing solves it.

Sorry this didn't help.

we are waiting

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Earnest, when you bump a thread multiple times in the same day, official support agents actually have a lower chance of seeing it. Also, have you created your own thread yet? You'll need one for official support. :-) Sentrosi, the first thing I'd like to try for your issue is bypassing the router. Would you be able to connect directly to the modem? That should inform our next step. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Fitzer, Just for more info as we troubleshoot, another issue I've been noticing is that a lot of the ads, pictures for games under "My Games", and browsing the games market place has been incredibly slow to load, if they load at all. I'm not sure if that is related to the disconnections, but it's been happening for the same amount of time.

I haven't had time to take down the rest of my network yet, but I should today. I will try bypassing the router and let you know the results.

Sorry this didn't help.

This had no effect

Sorry this didn't help.

Lately my Xbox has been doing this as well. At first I was thinking it was just my Xbox cause mine is almost two years old. Anyway, I really want to know how to fix this so I can go back to playing online games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Sentrosi!

The problem can be caused by so called NAT layer or double NAT. Westell modems are set up by default to act as their own router. You could try sign in to your modem and configure it to "Bridged Ethernet".

Take a look at this and see if it could be of any help.
http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3375/setting-up-westell-modems-linksys

Post back and let us know if this solved anything.

Thanks! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Sentrosi! I understand you are having some issues with disconnects while using Xbox LIVE. One basic thing I'd like to check on is your internet speeds. Sometimes lower speeds can cause these seemingly random disconnects. Can you please go to http://speedtest.net on a computer on the same network as your console, take the test there, and post the result image back here.

Also, are there any other devices (mobiles, tablets, computers, etc) that use your network as well? Do you find that your disconnects coincide with other devices using the network, like downloads or games? Try disconnecting these other devices and see if that improves the connection on your console, even a little. Thanks!

FinnaTry: I would love to assist you as well, and to offer you my best support, please create a new thread in this forum. Thank you for your consideration.

Sorry this didn't help.

Taidara: Thank you for the recommendation!  Unfortunately it isn't the problem. My modem is already set that way and has been for far longer than I've had the Xbox, let alone this specific problem.

Mister Gwyther, thank you for your input! The download results range from 1.1 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps when the issue is occuring. I have tested it multiple times over the past couple weeks as this error occurs using speedtest.net and, at times, AT&T's speed test for a 2nd reference. The results are within the same range that they have been since I purchased the Xbox last summer. (Yes, I test my network speed rather frequently) I will still post an image in a few hours when I have access to it again, but as I said, the speeds have not drastically changed recently.

Yes, there are other devices that use the network. No, it doesn't make a difference as to whether or not I am kicked from LIVE. They do have an effect on how often the show may need to buffer, but it has never been this bad, nor has it ever resulted in being disconnected from LIVE.

Last night my wife was able to stream a movie to her laptop with no issues. When we switched to the Xbox to watch something together, I was disconnected from LIVE 5 times throughout a 40 minute tv show.  That was with no other computers or devices turned on or connected to my network.  To say I was merely frustrated would be an understatement.

If the issue was with my network equipment or bandwidth, other devices performing the same task such as streaming video would most likely be affected. If it was a configuration issue on my network hardware, my xbox should have shown at least some symptoms over the 8 months that I've had it on my network.

Unless a recent update forced a change in how the Xbox communicates, I shouldn't have to make any changes to how my network is configured.

I really want to stress again that these issues are new developments within the past couple of weeks and are strictly limited to the Xbox. I had already performed a lot a troubleshooting prior to checking the forum. I then followed the instructions on this site and read through the other forums posts that seemed to report similar issues and performed the troubleshooting steps located in those.

I understand the value in checking the basics, but I'm running out of basics to check and I'm still have the same results.

Sorry this didn't help.