XBOX LIVE - INTENTIONAL SPEED CAP

I just noticed that xbox live is intentionally capping its downloads speeds to half of my internet speed.

I ran several speedtests on various websites and my internet is running at peak performance.

So I look at the download graph in my router while downloading a demo, zune update, streaming Black Ops 2 trailer, GOW Judgement trailer, & arcade game download.

ALL CAPPED AT THE EXACTLY SAME SPEED.

When doing test several weeks ago..... download speeds where at maxing out my internet speed. So something has changed on MICROSOFT's side.

The stupid thing about it is that MICROSOFT set a speed cap so LOW that their BLACK OP 2 & GOW JUDGEMENT trailer are all BUFFERING... BUFFERING.... BUFFERING.....

Somebody really dropped the ball at MICRoSOFT.

Just to add... i test my speed by download Windows 7 SP1 off the Microsoft website... and its NOT CAPPED. Maxing out my internet speed.

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2018 Views 1,011 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Perhaps it's Microsoft's servers which have a set upload speed for content so bandwidth can be shared equitably throughout the world on Xbox Live.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I've noticed it's a lot slower than using your pc or laptop. And I've also noticed that some videos are slower than others depending on how old they are.

Sorry this didn't help.

@mad cow dizease

Thats just silly.... you can share a connection equitably... but if it doesn't work.... then its broken equitibly.

This needs to be fixed..... I am not pay for xbox live ... so that it doesn't work.

If MS is trying to save its costs on paying customers.... then they are failing to deliver a promise of a working product.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder how many paying customers would keep on using Netflix... if they decided to cap the download speed at a unsustainable level. BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING....BUFFERING...

FIX THIS MICROSOFT ASAP..... or my soon to expire xbox live gold subscription won't be renewed for the 6th consecutive year.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there. Sorry to hear you're having potential issues with Xbox Live connection speed. Based on what you're doing I can see why some things may have issues running (ie Black Ops 2 trailer & GOW trailer and downloading two demos at once). This can cause speeds to drop a bit on any one's connection. 

However at the same time, to be honest, there doesn't appear to be anything for Microsoft to fix. Like someone above mentioned there are millions upon millions of users connected to Live at any one time. Some things aren't that important for Microsoft to worry (ie download speeds). At the same time, some technicians for internet ISPs around the world would side with Microsoft saying there is something on your end causing the issue where a video would buffer. (Netflix controls their servers Microsoft just allows their software through Live).

As an ex Verizon DSL Level 3 Technician I can say that IF there is a cap happening it's not Microsofts doing. It would be your ISP. So, I would contact your service provider and ask if there is a limit on how much you can download info at any given time. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with ermac29.  The only caps on download would be set by the ISP and the capabilities of the server(s) you're downloading from.  If you're trying to stream video and download a demo at the same time, you're saturating your bandwidth, so try doing one at a time and see if that resolves the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

This isn't an isp issue... my isp doesn't cap speeds... I have verified that..... also I am not running multiple downloads at the same time.... its only an xbox live download / streaming at half my internet capacity... while all other downloads ... including the download of Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft website max out my connection.... so clearly there is a recent issue with the way MS is distributing bandwidth.  Several days ago ... this wasn't an issue. I have many years of troubleshooting my internet performance, so I know that nothing is wrong on my side.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Sticky!

To isolate the issue, please verify if you will encounter the same issue if you connect your Xbox directly to the modem.

Sorry this didn't help.

taidara... been there... done that.

Sorry this didn't help.

...just to add to my previous comment..... no I don't QOS on my router.... and I have all my ports properly forwarded and tested.

Sorry this didn't help.