XBOX Live gamertag already taken?

So i go to change my name, and it turns out the gamertag i want is taken, so when i change my gamertag over to this one and attempt to send a message to the person it says "This gamertag does not exist on XBOX Live", any help on this ? because I've used 800 Microsoft points on a gamertag that could have been what i actually wanted.

Regards,
MVP.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 99 Applies to:

Could be a banned tag...

Also, spaces don't count. xAPx TheMVP and xAPxTheMVP are the same tag as far as Live is concerned.

The GT in question could be used on any one of the apps that use GTs, like Zune.  Change the spelling, to make it work.  I had to and for the same reason as you...it was "taken". 

mlg i learned that the first time i played an MMORPG but i dont play it any more so idc loll

but yeah that advice is useful

have an avatar, finally got a wireless connector for my 360. bought a live card. entered the code under my windows id then tried to get onto live from the console and the only action is to join. when i go through the steps, it says that gt is already taken. posts above don't really help... anyone?

What is the tag your after?

40 million gamers on live....good luck with that

http://gamercard.zaamit.com"][img]http://gamercard.zaamit.com/bigsigorange/donnyskillz.jpg[/img]

Spaces don't matter, actually. Someone with the gamertag MVP won't be the same as someone with M V P, etc. It takes 7 years for an inactive gamertag to become available again for use. Best bet is to try something else, or try different variations.

no, i mean i activated my card through windows live and now when i try to log on through xbox it says this windows id is associated with another gamertag. even the one they randomly assign ??????

[quote user="RoastCone41632"]

no, i mean i activated my card through windows live and now when i try to log on through xbox it says this windows id is associated with another gamer-tag. even the one they randomly assign ??????

[/quote]That means the wlid has been used previously on a different account, a wlid can only be linked to a single account at any one time. Are you trying to recover an account to your console?, or did you create it on your console to begin with?

If its a duplicate wlid just change it on one of the 2 accounts and you will be good to go. I suggest making a brand new one solely for use with your LIVE account before changing it over.

How to change your wlid.