Xbox Live Error Code 800704CD - Can't download profile

Been struggling this morning (Dec 7th, 2013) to log on to Xbox Live, getting a number of Xbox Live errors and tried clearing my cache, resetting router, etc. etc.  I just deleted my profile and attempted to download it and got an 800704CD error on my Xbox.  No changes on my side, something's not right with Xbox Live, despite what the online service indicator says (Xbox Live Service up & running)….. now, it looks like I'm really screwed…no profile and can't download… 

What's up with Xbox Live this morning in North America?? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:

Greetings Kia!
Could you check if any contents on your hard drive might have become corrupted. Corrupted contents is shown as an yellow exclamation mark.

If its possible, try the solution up front and let us know if you are able to download your profile.

With your console powered off, safely remove the hard drive and plug in a USB flash drive (configured for use with the Xbox 360) into a USB port on the front of your console. Power on your console (with the hard drive removed) and follow the instructions on-screen, when you use an alternative storage device as primary, for the first time.

Try download your profile onto your USB flash device and let us know how that goes and we'll go from there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First off, I did as you suggested and checked the contents of my Xbox hard drive.  By using the Storage option under System Settings I reviewed the status of all contents on my drive.  None exhibited the yellow exclamation mark.

I proceeded to try your 2nd suggestion.  With my Xbox powered off, I removed the 250Gb hard drive.  I plugged in a pre-configured Xbox-compatible USB key.  I powered up the Xbox.   The Xbox put a message that an update was required.  I tried to let the update run, but it abended after 10 minutes.  Subsequent to that, I attempted to download my profile.  The Xbox again reminded me that an update was required before I could connect with Xbox Live.  Again, I attempted to download the update to the USB key and again it failed after 10 minutes.

I ran a network test from the Xbox and it validated that the network, Internet and Xbox Live connectivity was working.

So, here I am, stuck in a loop… can't download my profile without the network, apparently can't use the network until some sort of update is loaded onto my Xbox… can't get the update, because I can't seem to connect to Xbox Live.  

5 days and counting, no Xbox Live connectivity, no profile downloading… sounds like a major outage in Canada!

Sorry this didn't help.

So…. I resolved this issue, but through no help from anybody at Tech Support…. basically after studying 15 or 20 posts from other users I gambled and tried a mix of completely unrelated fixes.  What worked for me was the following:

1) Going to Storage option, cleared my system cache three (3) consecutive times in a row

2) Changed by Xbox's static IP address to an automatic DHCP address

Upon making these two changes, and then rebooting my Xbox, I was able to connect to Xbox Live and download my profile.  I tested a few games (Halo 4 and COD Black Ops 2) and everything worked fine.

Again, what was so frustrating here was that nothing changed on my side.  Suddenly, one day I was unable to connect to Xbox Live and then after 8 days of frustration and searching for an explanation I guessed at a couple of steps and it happened to work.

All-in-all, a very disappointing Xbox experience.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I'm glad we're all having the same issue here, however i haven't seen one answer as to what the error code 800704cd means.  I haven't tried to play any movies.  just connect to internet and download my profile.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having trouble too.

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe I have found a possible answer.

I started getting the message about Cannot download from Xbox Live with the error code 800704CD Just a few days ago.  It appeared out of the blue.

I did everything suggested and nothing worked.  I finally decided that maybe it was the network card in the box going bad, since I noticed the download bar was getting shorter and shorter before the message would pop up.  So I decided to completely unplug the Xbox (ie not plugged into the wall socket).

Something prompted me to check on the DHCP Client List for my Belkin Router.  I noticed that the router was still showing the Xbox as connected.  Even after rebooting the router, the Xbox continued to show.  This lead me to believe that something on the network might be sharing the same IP address but had taken over the xbox's identity.

I plugged in the Xbox and manually setup an IP address that I knew was not being used and Presto, everything is working again.

I would suggest unplugging your xbox and check the routers DHCP Client List.  If it is showing up in the Client List, then manually setup the Xbox to an IP address you know is not being used.  I knew that my router was set to allow 2 to 100 as IP addresses.  I took the highest one showing and added 10 to that number.

Sorry this didn't help.