Xbox Live Error Code 80048821

I created this account for my little brother some time ago. I originally used my gmail and made a new password. I'm at home from college for the weekend, and my little brother is asking me to help him solve a problem: every time he tries to connect, he is prompted to enter an email and password. Now, we know the email address, and I've changed the password three times today. Every time we try to log in with the correct information, it shows an error message, code 80048821. I looked around on the forums, here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/422107.aspx and here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/p/448034/2249070.aspx, but so far, nothing has worked. The account has a silver membership, not gold, but it's a nuisance to not be able to log in on the xbox. I would appreciate it if we could get some help solving this problem

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same issue. Even though the correct login info is typed, when it asks whether to store the password it would say incorrect password and log out. Very annoying. This occurred after I changed my hotmail account name

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey folks.

Alright, first off lets go ahead and clear your Xbox 360 system cache. Also, I would suggest making sure your security proofs are up-to-date at account.live.com. 

Post back if you need any more help. Cheers! 

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a problem for Forum 03 at forums.xbox.com/.../12.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm struggling with this problem too. My username/pass is working and I can log into this site, but on the xbox I get error 80048821 after I hit Next on the Remember My Password screen. I'm clearly logged in for a moment as my Friends are announced, but hitting Next returns me to a logged-out page. Please help, it's been a week of this same problem!

Sorry this didn't help.

Found the answer; go under Settings>System>Hard Drive>Profile and delete your profile. Then press the X and bring the Guide up, and select Download Profile. You'll have to put in the user/pass, then it will put your profile back. You'll have to do the user/pass on the Add Security page again, and when I did this it failed and gave me the 80048821 error again, BUT after I returned to the main Xbox screen via the Guide I found that I was logged into Live and things worked. Just needed to get out of the Sign In/Failure to Sign In loop. In fact, perhaps you don't even have to delete your profile (but I've already done this step and found success).

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem. My free month ended and got stuck on the error code screen. I deleted my profile (NOT savegames/items) and redownloaded it. That worked!

Sorry this didn't help.

I was having the exact same problem as the rest of you, on my actual home console. When the Xbox Live terms of agreement were updated sometime in the past week or two or so, I was on a friend's console and accepted the updated terms there. I don't know if this is what caused the issue with this error code in the first place. My Xbox Live 12-month Gold subscription doesn't terminate until September 2013, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. At first it was still keeping me logged in when I signed in even after telling me my password was incorrect and displaying the error code, but today I discovered it was logging me back out. I could still sign in to Xbox.com no problem, and I had no issues signing in on my friend's system throughout the past week. I believe I have fixed the issue though. First I cleared the system cache, as Mister Ohnaka suggested, and then I did what AndrewNiekamp did, and deleted my Profile from my console (just the Profile), and then re-downloaded it. This appears to have fixed the problem. I no longer have issues signing in. It doesn't tell me my password is incorrect, and it has stored the password. It also doesn't display the error code anymore. I tried signing out and then signing back in, and I was able to do so without any problems. So perhaps this solution will work for you guys as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

It keeps doing this to me.....I deleted the profile off my console, cleared cache, downloaded my profile again, then it signs me in once I enter the name and password, and after it asks if I want to remember the password, it goes back and asks for it all again, then gives me the error sign again....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there! 

Try out these steps posted by one of our awesome Ambassadors, Taidara:

"

If you haven’t already, start by adding security proofs like phone numbers, alternate email addresses, and security questions and answers to your Microsoft account. This information is crucial to ensure that your account is well protected and meets the security standars that Microsoft now provides.

When this information has been added and updated, we can now start focus on the next steps, delete your profile, clear system cache and finally, recover your profile from LIVE.

How to delete Xbox LIVE profile safely

1. Go to Settings, and then select System.
  2. Select Storage.
  3. Select All Devices.
  4. Select Gamer Profiles.
  5. Select the gamertag that you want to delete.
  6. Select Delete.
  7. Select Delete Profile Only. This deletes the profile but leaves saved games and achievements.

Clear Xbox system cache 

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
  2. Select Storage or Memory.
  3. Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller.
  4. Select Clear System Cache.
  5. Important: Clear your Xbox system cache 3 times in row.

Restart your console.

Download Xbox LIVE profile.

1. Press the Xbox Guide button on your controller (large X button in the center of your controller).
  2. Select Download Profile.
  3. Enter the Microsoft account associated with your Xbox LIVE gamertag.
  4. Enter your Microsoft account password.

Post back and let us know if you were helped by this."

Sorry this didn't help.

We have been experiencing the same exact problem for about a month now and were told to do the same exact thing listed above by someone on the phone with Microsoft. This worked for about a week and now we are experiencing the same exact problem. We tried the steps again and it still won't work. Our profiles will work on the other consoles in our house but not the main one in our living room. Very frustrating!

Sorry this didn't help.