Xbox Live Endless Failure Loop

What Country/State/Province do you live in? USA / Massachusetts
Modem brand & model number:  Westell A90-750015-07
Router brand & model number:  Westell A90-750015-07
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired: Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?: WEP 128 bit
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?: internal 360S
Things you have tried: All the suggestions from the XBox Live Support Trouble-shooter with the exception of connecting directly to the modem.  Port forward was set up following instructions on XBox Live support.  When you exhaust the trouble shooter, it tells you to post to the forums :)
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown: Disabled
Is NAT Type Open? : Unknown but the other Xbox connects just fine so I think it's set to whatever it should be set to.
Any Error Codes you encounter: Status Code 3524 - 0000 - 3080 - 0503 - 8007 - 2AF9
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? DSL
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Verizon 
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?
Well, what happens is I test my Xbox Live connection.  It shows OK for network connection, OK for internet connection, and then it goes to check XBL connection and I get prompt comes up telling me I need to download an update.  I select "yes, download" and the download bar appears -- it will fill approx. 10% - 20% and then it will sit there for a long time (in excess of 3 minutes) before it finally says, "There's a problem connecting to Xbox Live - go test your connection and if that fails, contact support."  And below that it displays
Status Code 3524 - 0000 - 3080 - 0503 - 8007 - 2AF9
Of course, this happens every time I test the connection, creating this awful endless loop.
Other info: I have not tried connecting directly to the router/modem because they are on separate floors and I don't have a long enough cable.
There is an Xbox already in the house which connects to Xbox Live using an external wireless adapter, on the very same wifi network I am using to try to connect to Xbox Live.  (It did this even before I set up the port forwarding).
My console is refurbished, from Game Stop.  Could it be a hardware problem??

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hey there Stoic! The error code you provided is due to a firewall blocking the update. Typically, the fastest method of resolving this issue is by temporarily connecting directly to your modem to get the update downloaded. You mention that is not a possibility, so there's another method that may work. Can you try completely disabling your firewall on your router until the update is downloaded and installed? At that point, you'd re-enable your firewall. You may need to refer to your router's instructions on how to do this.

If this is not a possibility, we would have to suggest at that point temporarily moving the console to a point where you can try the direct connection to the modem in order to download and install the update.

Let us know if any of this helps! :)  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply!

When I log into the router, it shows the firewall is already disabled:  "No Security (None): All Traffic is Allowed."  Maybe I need to call Verizon?

I will try plugging directly into the router to see if it updates.  It's not impossible; it's just not easy due to having to move the console.  But I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Any insight as to why it would be affecting one Xbox but not the other, since they're both connecting to the same wifi network?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, it worked!  Thank you so much - sorry I didn't do that when the trouble shooter told me to, but it was such a pain to haul everything (including the TV) downstairs and then back up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh good, glad to hear that it did the trick! It definitely can be a pain, but sometimes a router's "No Security" setting might still offer a bit of low-level security. It's hard to say with different routers why this is, but the idea is an unfettered connection the the internet allows the console to get what it needs for the update. Anyway, super glad you're back up and running, and happy gaming! :)

Sorry this didn't help.