Xbox live customer support lost when customers are fraudulently charged

So i saw that my account had some charges i didn't authorize, so i call customer support to inform them. This is what has happened so far:

8/27/11

Fraudulent charges on account called Xbox to inform:

Phone Call 1: Phone disconnected when talking to service representative.

Phone Call 2: Finish reporting fraud charges

Was told by service representative investigation team will contact and update me on investigation. Investigation takes an estimated 21 days. Account supposedly locked so no use of gamertag or Xbox live. Given reference number. So sitting there looking at my useless Xbox i decide to check it to ensure its locked. Turn on and see my gamertag was on another console (person who fraudulently used my credit card was downloading games they purchased), complete gamertag recovery. Get gamertag back and play a round of Halo Reach, upset because account wasn't locked like i was informed it would be, so person who took my gamertag could still use my credit card.

Phone Call 3: Lock account

Check gamer tag and able to play Xbox Live. Call customer support again to have account lock so person who was fraudulently using my account couldn’t download or use and more money, reference number given and account now locked from Xbox live

8/29/11

Call Xbox customer support to get an update on investigation. Service representative says that investigation was not started because information is missing from account to start investigation. Upset because talked to 3 SR on 8/27/11 and none of them said anything about missing information to start investigation. Give service representative needed information,  and request to speak with supervisor.

Requested supervisor

Supervisor: Michael

Informed supervisor I poke to 3 SR on 8/27/11 none of which said anything about missing information to start investigation Supervisor: Michael - Stated that there were two open cases because of phone disconnecting on 8/27/11 and  when I called back back to finish informing service representative of fraud charges. Michael says it was a mix up of information between service representative notes in the system Mix up of information then goes on to say that the Investigation team will contact you in 3 to 4 days and that investigation could take up to 21 days.

9/6/11

Received email from investigation team

"Dear Xbox LIVE Customer,

Your report of unauthorized access to your Xbox LIVE account has been received by our fraud investigations team. To protect your privacy and account information, your Xbox LIVE account is temporarily locked and sign-in is disabled. If you use this Windows Live ID for any other Microsoft services, they will also be locked during our investigation. Your account cannot be accessed by anyone outside of our fraud investigations team. No charges or changes can be made to your account while we investigate.

Our investigations are currently taking up to 21 days, with our goal being to unlock your account as quickly as possible. We ask for your continued patience as we investigate this case. We are providing you a free, 30-day Xbox LIVE membership code that you can use to create a new, temporary account or save and add to your own account.

Please accept this prepaid code with our apologies for the delay:

( NO PREPAID CODE WAS PRESENT)

If we verify that fraudulent purchases were made on your Xbox LIVE account while your account was not under your control, the purchase amounts or Microsoft Points will be refunded. Refunds may be processed within the next 10 business days after we conclude our investigations, but may take up to 30 days before they appear on your credit card billing statement.

Please continue to check your email for status updates regarding this case. We may email you with additional questions to help complete our investigation.

Sincerely,

The Xbox LIVE Investigations Team

Xbox LIVE Logo - ©Microsoft Corporation

Contact Xbox Support"

Called Xbox customer support to inquire if investigation started 9/6/11 when email was received or 8/29/11, when I originally gave all my information to supposedly start investigation.Service representative on the phone stated the investigation starts from the original day called, 8/29/11 and estimated date on completion would be 21 days.

To get written confirmation I send email to Xbox support with the same question:

“Hello, I just received an email from The Xbox LIVE Investigations Team on 9/6/11 stating they are verifying that fraudulent purchases were made on my Xbox LIVE account while my account was not under my control. I was wondering if this means the investigation just started or has been since i originally called on 8/29/11. My reference number is XXXXXXXXXXXX, i just wanted to know because if it just started on 9/6 that would mean my account will be locked for an estimated 29 days and not the 21 days as stated by the 4 representatives i have spoken to or the email i received. I do want this to be handled as quickly and professionally as possible because i lost over $100 from the fraudulent charges and when the investigation team sees i didn't have control of account i will be receiving a refund 2 months after the initial withdrawal. Please let me know because i have been told different things from each representative i have talked to.”

9/7/11

Receive email response from Xbox support:

“Hello Micah,

Thank you for contacting XBOX Email support. I am Bella and I will be helping you today.

I understand that there's a query on the duration of the account investigation. If I misunderstood the concern, please let me know. I'm looking forward to be of assistance to you on this matter today.

Micah, I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the investigation may have caused you. The investigation is started on the same date the email was sent to you by the Investigation Team. We would also like to let you know that there has been a recent change in the turnaround time of the investigation, that is 25 days.

If you need to call or  reply to this e-mail, please reply 'with history' (include any previous e-mail) or reference to Service Request Number XXXXXXXXXX so we can expedite our service to you.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Best Regards,

Bella
XBOX Support Services
http://www.xbox.com/support “

Called Xbox Support and requested supervisor  because i was being given different information from the service representative i spoke to on 9/6/11 and the email i received 9/7/11 on what day the investigation started.  The service representative argued with me about speaking to supervisor, stating he understands my situation but there is nothing a supervisor could do. I told the service representative  I understood what he was saying but I wonted to confirmation for when investigation starts from a supervisor, do to past inconsistencies with service representative giving me information.

Requested supervisor

Supervisor: Ronnette

Supervisor confirmed that investigation starts 9/6/11,when email was received and now has an estimated time of 25 days, then continues to say that If time goes over initial month any extra time will be compensated back.  She stated that the service department sends request for investigation to the investigation department but that the investigation team might not even get started on the investigation for 20 days after receive request. Once an investigation is started it normally takes a day or two to complete. I asked if i could get an email for confirmation and the supervisor stated that no written documentation can be sent for security reasons. Only department that could give me documentation was from Email support only documentation that can be email.

So point of story is that investigation squad is either understaffed, lazy or they are having a high volume of fraud cases....

Original date of fraud charges: 8/27/11

Estimated investigation length 9/6/11 till 9/30/11

I wont get a refund until October, it will be interesting not being able to pay electricity bill this month because of the prolonged investigation....

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 259 Applies to:

[quote user="RafikiBrutal"]Get gamertag back and play a round of Halo Reach, upset because account wasn't locked like i was informed it would be, so person who took my gamertag could still use my credit card.[/quote]I have to ask.  At this point, why did you not did you not change the email and/or password on the gamertag, and contact your credit card company over the charges?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems the best thing to do is. change ur password, call support to remove ur CC from there system. And call ur CC company about the fund charges.

no 30 day locked out, and your credit card will refund it right away.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once an account has gone to investigation, they can't stop it.

Sorry this didn't help.

"Zen" - I did change my password and username after i called support, i waited about 30 minutes from the initial call to check my account and found it was still active. It was a checking account so i contacted them and they stated i had to wait for the charges to completely process before i could file a claim. It showed my account had money taken out on 8/27/11 but it was still in processing status until 8/30 when it showed it had completed processing. But my bank has to do an investigation also now.... Bank of America is a terrible bank by the way...

"Airwalk" - I did what you said but when i orignaly talked to the support personal they said my CC was locked so there could be any further drafts and that if i took CC off it would end by subscription even though my renewal for he year is due in febuary.

"RHI" - the sad part about it is the investigation started 7 days after reported...

Thanks guys for possible fixes to this issue but it seems like this is a issue MS isnt interested in taking care of. I searched the forums and saw this is happening to many gamers and they all seem to having same issues with MS as me.

Sorry this didn't help.

forums.xbox.com/.../384446.aspx

Check out mine, very similiar. Currently on day 29 (business days). I didnt even get an email from the UA team... ive been in the dark since this started. Wonderful!

Sorry this didn't help.

My account was hacked on 8/19.  Same as most, 4000 and 6000 points were charged to my CC.  I called about 20 minutes after the charges since my bank called me about suspected fraud.  I was told the same as everyone.  30 days!  I called on 8/29 to check on it and was told they needed additional information.  I was very confused why they did not call or email me to get this information.

I was content to let them do their work, then finally called back on 9-19.  I was then told that they needed additional information again.  Only to find out that the additional information i gave them on 8-29 was not entered into the UA claim until 9-17.  That's right it took them 2 1/2 weeks to even enter the information.

So if you think the customer service people talk to the investigations team you are kidding yourself.  I called back again on Monday, 9-26, only to be told there are no new notes on my account.   I am currently sitting on day 44 with no end in sight. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine was compromised on 8/2, Pretty sad that we can't get any information on timeframes.

I did receive an email with a free 30 day subscription code which is going to run out soon, I'm getting no answers from the 800 number. I still haven't been reimbursed for the fradulent charges, and every time I call I get the same repsonse:

"Oh wow, it is taking a long time... I'd be upset too!"

Now I can't play half the arcade games on my xbox because I only license transfered about half of them after my red ring, I can't use my save files, and my gamertag/gamerscore is lost.

Thanks for taking my money Microsoft, I'm going to gamestop this weekend to switch my COD/Battlefield/A Creed preorders to PS3, considering any DLC I get for games I buy can't be linked to my real account.

I'm going to give them until 10/9 to get this sorted out (8/9 is when my claim finally made it back to the investigation team), after that I will be contacting my bank to put in a claim.

Sorry this didn't help.

AS far as I'm concerned THEY are at fault for not having any security in place at the time of purchase. The crimes against us could just as easily have come from inside xbox live with someone passing on details for a price. They have our information and are refusing to secure it. I googled it as soon as I was robbed from my bank (not a credit card) and found microsoft have had this problem for years and it's happen 1000s of times before and they still refuse to put any security questions in place at the time of purchase.

Sorry this didn't help.