Xbox Live Customer Service

Dear Microsoft,

Over the course of the last 2 and a half weeks I have logged over 16 calls, totalling 28 hours of phone support time with Xbox Live Support. The total lack of customer service from an company such as Microsoft is absolutely ridiculous and quite surprising. I’ve had over four different Service Ticket numbers all dealing with the same problem. I’ve been told at least a dozen times that a representative will call me back soon, yet over these last two weeks I have never received an email, phone call or any other form of communication updating me on the status of my problem. My problem still isn’t fixed.

Three years ago I signed up for an Xbox Live account using my roommate’s Xbox 360. Granted, I didn’t have an 360, but I figured I’d be using my roommates enough so I would sign up anyways using my online handle that I have had for years. For the sake of this story let’s say it is Gamertag_A. I signed up as Gamertag_A and life was good. My roommate and I beat Gears of War and numerous other games. I enjoyed playing the Xbox 360.

Fast forward to three weeks ago when I bought my first Xbox 360 console. I couldn’t wait to get home from work to play with some friends over Xbox LIVE. I thought I could just go through the Xbox Live setup wizard that was presented to me and recover my old Gamertag_A and life would be easy. I was wrong.

After entering my Windows Live ID that I have had for years, the Xbox Live system decided that I needed a new Gamertag so it created one for me, Gamertag_B. Of course, it wasn’t really Gamertag_B, it was something like LovlyButtercups8, which really isn’t my style. So at this point I’m wondering why I can’t just switch from Gamertag_B back to my original Gamertag_A. I thought it should be pretty easy considering they are both tied to my Windows Live ID.

Each time I call I have to explain my problem to another low level customer service representative and after taking around an hour to finally explain the problem, they will write up a service ticket to be handled by their “Elevation Team”. Again, I never have received any form of communcation from Microsoft. Each time I call back, they have updated the status of my problem, but have failed to inform me.

Now, I know what you might be saying to yourself, ‘Why don’t you just get a new gamertag? It’s not that important you have your original online handle.’ Yea, you’re probably right, but game data, achievements, friends lists and purchases cannot be transferred between gamertags. So anything that I had purchased or done with Gamertag_A could not be transferred to Gamertag_B.

It’s been 3 weeks Microsoft, and you haven’t done anything to fix my problem. All you have done is waste my time and now I believe I have wasted my money on your console. Additionally, I’m questioning why I would spend money on your Xbox Live service when you have been absolutely no help through this entire process.

I’ve never had any problems with my Playstation and their free service.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

So the problem with your XBL service is that your unable to recover Gamer Tag A.

Have you tried to sign in to your old Gamer tag on the Live website to see if your able to see get into it.

Can you check the status of it at live.xbox.com/.../Profile (change the XXXX to the gamer tag)

If you typed in the email wrong when creating the account this will cause a Lot of problems...

If your able to use the old xbox and see what the email was you used this will should make things easier as you can then see where the problem might be.

This is just a start we will see what else we can do as you try things :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I can look at the profile. It's certainly active and I can see my Avatar icon.

The problem is my Windows Live ID is associated with two gamertags. I can't sign into my old gamertag online because every time I sign in using my Windows Live ID it thinks it's associated with Gamertag_B.

Sorry this didn't help.

Change the e-mail on GamerTag_B. Then try to recover GamerTag_A.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Temhotabot, That was several of the tech support staff's suggestions. It didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

But you can't get to an xbox with the account on it to double check the email address?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right. Every time I recover gamertag it recovers the wrong one. I have had a dozen tech service people verify that one Live ID is associated with two gamertags.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you PM me the GTs in question and I will take a look at them. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.