Xbox Live Connection Issues

Hello All.

For me, I'm not having issues connecting to live. I'm having issues STAYING connected to live. I'm looking for any help I can get before I schedule a service with my ISP.

I've been having connection problems for the last two/three months. When playing online, I will lose connection to live. I will first drop from the game, then the party I'm playing in, and within 15-30 seconds, I will lose connection to live as well. I will then turn off my xbox (which won't turn off right away. The light goes out but it takes 15 seconds for the box to stop running), and then re-connect back to live. Most of the time, I can connect right back, but every once and awhile it will give me a DNS/Server error message, in which case I turn my router/modem off and try again. which works.

I've dropped from every game I own...Including Call of Duty. I HAVE NEVER lagged out of a COD game before.

If you guys need any other information, please let me know. I don't mind chatting over Windows Live Messenger or something to save time. It would probably be easier to give you information off of my computer that way, since I'm a noob when It comes to connections. I don't know anything about DNS/Gateways/Subnet Masks or anything like that. This could just be a problem with me not setting my computer/router up properly.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  Pittsburgh,PA
Modem brand & model number: Motorola SURFboard SB5101
Router brand & model number: D-Link DGL 4100
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired Wired
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? N/A
Things you have tried: Well, I've exchanged my modem from my ISP 3 times this year. I also purchased my new D-Link router, hoping that would fix the problems, and It only worked for about 1-2 weeks. I've also purchased new ethernet cables, since the little clips were about to break off of the last ones. Other than that, I've done the network re-start. I've unplugged all of my equipment overnight, and I've made sure to set my xbox to default settings under "network settings". I've also tried to direct connect to my modem, and it doesn't fix the problem.

Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown
Is NAT Type Open? Yes, It Is Open
Any Error Codes you encounter: When I am disconnected from Live, I will occasionally get the "Can't Resolve DNS Server Names" message, but that will only last for a few minutes, then I can connect back.
What type of internet do you have? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? Well, 90% of the time, I can connect fine. The only time It won't let me connect is right after I lose connection to live. I wait a few minutes, and I can connect back, and start the cycle over again.

Also, I think it's worth noting how inconsistant my connection is. For example, I ran a few speed tests about 30 minutes apart.

Test #1 -

Test #2 -

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

With everything you tried it can really only be 1 of two things. One: your ISP. Two: Your Xbox. Do you have a friends xbox you can test on your network to see if it drops the same way?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="DragonExadon"]

With everything you tried it can really only be 1 of two things. One: your ISP. Two: Your Xbox. Do you have a friends xbox you can test on your network to see if it drops the same way?

[/quote]

alright, I can try borrowing a friends xbox at some point this week. I'll post in this thread what happens.

Two questions -

1.) If It is my Xbox, would I be better off sending it in for repairs, or just buying a new one? I havn't heard anything about the newer xbox's in terms of problems/issues.

2.) If It isn't my Xbox, then what would I tell comcast when scheduling a service? I wouldn't even know what to say to them. Would I just tell them that my connection is giving me problems, or is there something in particular I should have them check.

Thanks in advance, and I'll get back ASAP with the results of the new xbox tests.

Sorry this didn't help.

1) That's your call. If my xbox went up today i would use it for a reason to buy one of those new slim ones with the built in wi-fi.

However I had my Xbox repaired in the past and it came out working fine (minus the fact that it is now missing the USB door cover :(  )

2.) That it appears to you that after X amount of time your connection will stutter and / or shut down then resume. And this is causing you problems. If it is on their end they may be able to see on some sort of log of this problem occurring with your connection>? Just my guess on what to say.

Hopefully that helps

Sorry this didn't help.

Keep us posted

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright. I finally got around to borrowing a friends xbox. He had an older one, (non-slim) which is what I own. (Only difference being mine is an "elite". Anyway, so after playing for a few hours yesterday, I didn't have any problems in COD, or NHL11. However, while just sitting at the dashboard for a while, I lost connection to live twice.

My connection was improved with his box, but It wasn't fixed completely. So, I'm thinking it is one of two things. Either

A - My connection was having a "good day", and the xbox didn't have anything to do with it. (I will occasionally have lagout-free days even with my own xbox.)

B- It was a combination of both problems. Maybe my xbox is indeed broken, since the problems were less evident with a different box, but there is still a problem with my connection.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I'm still looking for any other feedback people can give me. I plan on schedling the service tomorrow...I don't know how long it's going to take them to get somebody over here, though.

ALSO - Is anybody familiar with D-link routers? Mine has this feature called "gamefuel" where I can set my xbox as a priority for my connection over the two computers connected to my device. However, as stated before, I'm a complete noob at this connection stuff. Does anybody know how to set this up?

Sorry this didn't help.