Xbox Live Connection Issue

Yesterday I started experienced a problem with Xbox Live.  It seems like i'm losing connectivity every minute or two, making it impossible to play.  I don't seem to be losing connectivity on any other device in the house.  

What Country/State/Province do you live in?   Tennessee
Modem brand & model number:   2Wire 3800 HGV-B
Router brand & model number:   Appears to be built into the Modem
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Hardwired
Things you have tried: Power cycling Modem, clearing Storage Cache, Resetting Modem
Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown - I've accessed my Modem by don't see anything UPnP related
Do you have a NAT error? I experienced a Moderate error 1 time out of about 30 tests in the past two days.  I power cycled my Modem and haven't had the issue since
Any Error Codes you encounter:  No
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? ATT Uverse
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:  0000-000B
X:  0000-F001
Y:  20A8-48E0
Z:  0000-0000
ID:  FFFF-FFFF
L:  0015-10F0
Q:  8015-1004
T:  Wired

Now - this is one of many tests I have performed.  On this test, I actually had a connection between the Xbox and the Network, but I have been getting errors there.  When I get an error, I repeat the test, and It works.  It seems like I only get the error if I get "lucky" on my timing of the testing. 

Please help - I'm getting terribly frustrated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:

HAve you tried port forwarding your router? You can do this by using your router settings and opening the required xbox live ports in your router's firewall. If you cannot do this on your router, sometimes your ISP can open ports for you from their end. Also, asking your ISP about UPnP settings on your router may also be worthwhile

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm Lazy and i expect most people to be as well. Port forwarding has worked for some people but if you got the wrong ports or you got the wrong IP or your ip address changes your back to where you started or worse.

Some times DSL gets a bit slow... Start with turning off your gateway for about 5 mins go out eat some food and watch your favorite tv show. If that didnt fix it now its time to poke around. check all cables are secure and all the pins on the cable are clean and check the ports you are pluging into for lint dust or anything that might hinder the connection.

If its still being shotty it might be time to run some tests. Never change router settings with out first knowing whats wrong!

Start with 3 speed tests at speedtest.net or bandwidthplace.com (this one can be done on the xbox)

Hows your speeds? looking like they should? DSL you should be with in 0.2 of the speeds you are paying for. make sure no other devices are using the internet at that time.

Were your speeds good? if not call your ISP there might be something wrong on their side.

After speeds lets check for droped packets and high ping. You can have the best speeds in town and still have terribly high pings.

On a PC running vista,win7,win8 go to the start menue/screen and type in CMD. There should be a result that looks like a black box with "C:\ "  Right click it and run as administrator.  In any other version of windows or if that doesn't come up press "Windows key" + "R"  at the same time and release in the run  window type in CMD and press OK/RUN/enter. A black window should come up with a blinking white " _ "  this is command prompt.

Type the following command in then press enter.

ping epix.xbox.com -f -t -l 1400

This will ping epix an xbox serivice that is normally advailible and will give us valuable results.

Allow the test to run for about 5 min and the press "CTRL" + "C" to pull up our results.

The important ones to note are % Loss, Maximum and Average.

Our max should be between 1~150 any more and we will have laggy games. Our is an example of a lag spike 500 is half a second of no response.

%loss we should see about 1-3% on a wireless network on a wired we should see 0-1% and even with 1% i would worry a bit. (packet loss over 3% or on a wire run the ping again instead of epix use 192.168.2.1 if you are still losing then somethings wrong with out connection or our routers on its way out.)

If all the tests so far have shown all's clear then now its time to mess with our network we cant blame the ISP.

I dont like port forwarding especially when asked to port-forward port 80... that ports used by pc's as well we might just be making the xbox work and breaking our pc.

So i prefer DMZ. It basicly puts our xbox outside of the router so that it has free range of the internet.  Without the router blocking its traffic or miss directing it. To DMZ we will also want to add a DHCP reservation for our xbox so that we can keep the same ip and assuring these setting stick.

Heres the guide for DMZ:

forums.xbox.com/.../360744.aspx

Heres The guide for DHCP reservation:

forums.xbox.com/.../371898.aspx

I believe this should resolve your issue. If it keep happening or you want to be walked thought it feel free to set up a click to call with the xbox connectivity team. Here :  support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

(side note) wxyz error codes mean very little when solving these issues)

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings Zach!

There is no option to change UPnP on the 2Wire 3800 HGV-B gateway. 

You can try what king suggested, to manually open ports used by Xbox LIVE. For this you have to first assign you Xbox with a static IP address within IP Pool range of your DHCP Server (and that is not in use).

Then access your router's web-config page and use this guide for how to Port Forwarding on your router. 

Xbox LIVE requries the following ports to be open:

• Port 88 (UDP) 
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) 
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP) 
  • Port 80 (TCP) 

Remember to reboot your deafult gateway whenever you make changes to it.

Reboot your console and test Xbox LIVE connection.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.