Xbox Live Account Hacked - Fifa 12?

So my account got hacked!

I received two emails from Xbox live, one saying "Successful Purchase of 4000 ms points" The other for 6000, but were unsuccessful charging. (They tried to charge a different card which was expired)

"Hmm, Weird" I thought since I never authorized such transactions, My live subscription renewal was coming up next month, so I just figured that was some sort of mistype.

But then I went to my billing page, and saw my ms point balance was 30, I thought I had more, so I checked and saw maybe 20 or so transactions for "Premium Gold Pack" with the 4000 that I hadn't authorized.

I hadn't been on live in several weeks, so I try to sign in on my xbox, but it says my account is invalid. "sigh" great! So I manage to log onto xbox.com and notice my last game played was Fifa 12 "WTF" never played it before, and thats what all the purchases were for.

Googled this and others are having this issue.

Seems MS is trying to say that it is "Social Engineering" like hundreds of people managed to give their account information to someone and they all went and spent all their ms points on the same game "Fifa 12?!"

Okay, never given my account information to anyone. 

I can easily recognize phishing sites being an IT, so thats not it.

Also I dont own any games by EA.

Theyre trying to deny the fact that they have holes somewhere.

So I had to call MS and have an investigation started = Account locked for 25-30 days

Cancel Credit Card and dispute fraudulent charges= Wait 7 Days for a new one, and update all online billing sites.

Oh but wait it's okay, support said I'd get a month for free. Good thing no good games are coming out in the next 30 days< Sarcasm>

I say for those whose account did get hacked, they issue us the 10K ms points that were fraudently purchased points and give us 6 months free.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

As an IT tech I would've thought you'd know social engineering doesn't always require the person being hacked to give out the relevent information.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.