Xbox keeps disconnecting off Xbox Live?

Hello,

Recently, my Xbox 360 (the new black one) has been disconnecting off Xbox Live. When I turn my Xbox on, 90% of the time it connects to Xbox Live. However, sometimes when I start a game up, it disconnects. It then also doesn't reconnect straight away and you have to give it 5 minutes to try again. When I connect again, about another 5 minutes later, it disconnects again! I have tested my connection and it says it cannot connect to my wireless internet, yet my hub is around 2 metres away. Also, my internet works on my laptop and phone fine!

I believe it maybe something with the wireless in my Xbox, but I am not sure!

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 81 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i started having this problem after trying to download skyrim. i'm in a dorm so its not like i can do much about it. its starting to **** me off. nothing like paying 40 dollars for nothing right?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

When it fails, what does Test Xbox Live Connection say?

I'd start by clearing the system cache (it's just updates plus other temporary files, nothing that's at all important to anyone) by:

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button on the controller, go right 2 clicks to Settings, pick System Settings.

2) Select Storage (or Memory).

3) Move over any hard drive or memory unit (not the Cloud) & press (Y) on your controller & pick Clear System Cache.

4) When asked to confirm storage device maintenance, choose Yes.

Some problems are subtle and don't appear in the Test Xbox Live Connection test. Most likely there's a port blocked... ports can be blocked in your router, modem, or at your ISP. Since the Xbox 360 uses different ports than PCs & Macs use, you can't see the effect of a port blockage except on the Xbox. A sequential power cycle is the first step in clearing a port blockage:

1) turn off the Xbox then

2) unplug the power from the router (Some folks have a combination modem-router AKA 'gateway'. If so, skip step 3).

3) unplug the power from the modem.

4) Wait at least 30 secs then replug the modem (or gateway) power.

5) Wait 'til the light on the front of the modem (or gateway) which says ONLINE, READY, CABLE or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the router. If you have a gateway instead of a modem and router, then when that light says it's ready, skip step 6.

6) Wait until the WiFi light on the router is on; you may not use WiFi, but it's still a good indicator your router is finished booting up.

7) Turn on the Xbox.  For more background on Ports, see whatismyipaddress.com/port

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="LiNX M4NiC"]

Yes Vibroplex, I have a Turtle Beach X31 and I believe it is mostly when I am using that when I get disconnected; but not always... I will try it, thank you!

Lord Of Blah, my router has a restart button which I press, after it has restarted I can get on Xbox Live but about 5 minutes later I have disconnected again!

[/quote]

Did you go through the steps I posted, though? I know it only lets you on for about 5 minutes when restarting your router, but doing the steps in order may fix your problem. (Note it resets your router and modem.)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes Vibroplex, I have a Turtle Beach X31 and I believe it is mostly when I am using that when I get disconnected; but not always... I will try it, thank you!

Lord Of Blah, my router has a restart button which I press, after it has restarted I can get on Xbox Live but about 5 minutes later I have disconnected again!

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have a wireless headset? If so, is it a Madkatz or Turtle Beach? Please advise.

Both of those use the 2.4GHz ISM radio band, but since they're not WiFi, they don't coordinate the use of the band and can interfere with the WiFi the Xbox uses to talk through your router to the Internet. If you do have a wireless headset base station plugged into the back or front USB ports of your Xbox, I'd unplug it temporarily to see if it helps, and if it does, please contact the headset manufacturer to ask for their help in mitigating interference.

Sorry this didn't help.

A bump is when you post to make the thread go to the top on a forum. It is so a thread will receive attention.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the same issue its really buggin me now. as bad as it sounds its nice to see others feel my pain lol. im gunna try the modem fix.  post if youve had any success. ill do the same.

ps what does bump mean?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems like a local area connection error, to me. As you said, you've tried restarting your router and it has not fixed your problems. You may also try restarting your modem. To do this, you can click the restart button (which usually requires a small pin or something) or unplug the modem  (sometimes modems have internal batteries and will not restart when being unplugged.) Wait 30 seconds or so before restoring power to the modem, then when it has booted restart your router and let 30 seconds apply to that as well. This fixes a lot of errors usually caused by local area connections, primarily glitches in your router by restarting all aspects of your internet.

Additionally, you may use the interactive Xbox Support Troubleshooter for Connecting to Xbox LIVE http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-wizard.

I hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply! I sometimes restart my router and it works for 5 minutes, and then it kicks me off again! Also, I don't have to be on the internet to get kicked off; sometimes I am but mostly it's just random when no one else is home.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey linx, and i feel your pain. the same thing was/is happening to me. i unplugged my router for a min and then plugged it back up. now the only thing is that i have to manually connect sometimes, cause the xbox says  it cant connect but it recognizes my wireless service. also if you are on the internet at the same time as you're online, it can disconnect if your xbox isn't getting enough bandwidth from the router.

Sorry this didn't help.