Xbox hacked wide open?

Has this happened to anyone else recently?

Someone managed to get into my account, spend 125pounds worth on points/gold subscription. Points was mainly used to buy games/map packs. Remaining 2,000 points vanished shortly after. No sign of where they went. I have changed the password on the account and spoken on the phone to MS who have said the account is now locked. SInce then the account is still being logged into despite the password change and being supposedly locked and messages have been deleted. I know the account details were not compromised on my side, and the password was not used for anything else. Definately no phishing etc. Also seeing rumours around the internet that as many as 60,000 stolen account details have been published onto forums. I've also been unable to remove my card details from the account. Big problems at MS it seems!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

If you think your account has been hacked, immediately call Xbox Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you've ever signed up to play an EA Games based game - that's why.

Yes - XBL security has loop holes that have nothing to do with the end user being phished or duped.  It is a total hack on their side.  But good luck getting them to admit to this....

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="AcquittedPeak43"]If you've ever signed up to play an EA Games based game - that's why.[/quote]How is signing up for an EA game a Microsoft problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Zen - Certain EA based games make you sign up in order to play them.  Said games share info with XBL.  Compromise EA account -> hook in to XBL account -> and let the robbery begin.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, a security breach in EA, a completely different company?  How would Microsoft fix a problem in a company they have no control over?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dude, don't even start with me... defend XBL all you want.

It's a problem.  Search the forums, search the web.  Read my posts.  EA hack hooks into XBL.  So XBL should close their side of the loop.  No brainer...

But yeah I know - it's the users fault, they got phished, blah blah blah.   Blame anything and anyone else but XBL, their security, and terrible customer service.

Sorry this didn't help.

Only way someone is going to get into an XBL account via EA is if the user was stupid enough to use the same password and e-mail combination on both accounts. XBL doesn't share log in details with EA and vice versa, what you've brought to the table is speculation and "this is my opinion and because it's my opinion it's also fact".

Sorry this didn't help.

Whoo, calm down.  I'm not denying it's existence.  I don't know enough about it to deny or confirm it.

Based entirely on what you say, the breach is within EA, not Xbox.  That's my point.  Not "it's the users fault, they got phished, blah, blah, blah".  I'll just point out that it was YOU who first even mentioned "phishing" within this thread, nobody else. 

Sorry this didn't help.

It's worth pointing out that the only reference I can find to EA being hacked this year was the suspected Lulzsec attack that exposed  account info for many Battlefield Heroes players and the break in that happened via an old Neverwinter Nights forum server. Considering both games aren't playable on the 360 (Heroes is a free to play browser game and NN is a really old PC game) and that EA's response was to reset everyone's password it's not much of a stretch to suggest that some people either chose to have the same password or were using the same e-mail and password combination for both their EA & XBL accounts. Not accusing anyone here of that but if EA had been hacked again it would've been all over the news by now and some hacking group would be claiming it was them.

Sorry this didn't help.