Xbox gamertag recycling

Hi, 2 or 3 months back I heard from someone on support that old xbox gamertags that have been inactive for a while (5 Years+) will be recycled. Is this true? I have also heard this on several gaming forums, and I was told to keep watch on Major Nelson's blog, as he will announce when they start recycling gamertags. I haven't heard anything since then.

Thank you,

Ross

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 77 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

MS started clearing out the old inactive accounts, but people would scooping up the names and selling them on Ebay.  MS stopped the service as a result.  They haven't mentioned if they were going to start it up again or not.  Chances are they won't.

Okay, I can understand why. However, can't Microsoft stop this somehow? It is not fair on people who want to use the gamertags legit..

[quote user="Uh Swifteh"]

Okay, I can understand why. However, can't Microsoft stop this somehow? It is not fair on people who want to use the gamertags legit..

[/quote]They stopped it by stopping the process altogether. It's "unfair" to the people who wanted to claim gamertags but ended up having no choice but to pay for it. Not to mention, selling gamertags is against the Terms of Use and all that jazz.

Uh swifteh this is true, there has already been a reset this year as well as last year. Last year it occured on march 1st 2011. Spark you are wrong btw.

Ok, if you gonna say someone is wrong, especially as an Ambassador, you should maybe provide reasons why, maybe even a source.  Anybody can just say, "oh hey you're wrong, bye.

Everything I've seen, read, and heard goes with what Spank has said, and it's the same answer the 100 other people who come here get when they ask the same question.

In fact you're the only person who I've seen that has said anything different.  So would you like to clarify?

I think they should just clear the lot out in one big swoo; any inactive accounts.  Also, I think they should give you the option as an account holder to delete your account entirely.  I have 3 silvers that I would delete if I could, opening them up to someone else being able to use the names.   It's silly that you can not 'quit' xbox.  LOL. It's like the Hotel California:  you can check out, but you can never leave.  :)  

[quote user="Green Eyed Leo"] I think they should give you the option as an account holder to delete your account entirely.  I have 3 silvers that I would delete if I could,[/quote]

The problem with that is that microsoft like to publish the amount of customers they have in the millions,if everybody deleted the accounts they don`t use it would basically cut those numbers in half and would look bad on their business reports.

Well, the gamertag capital just got reset (Taken) The gamertag Antenna got reset about 2 weeks ago (Taken) And the Gamertag Computer got reset (Taken). Please do not try to correct me when i am a expert at this subject.

Proof for Computer getting Reset

gyazo.com/7a3d108c23fa62e91efed857d4191201 (Computer's first game played)

gyazo.com/af61001ca694acb9a64bf7b81cb11ccf (Capital's first couple games played)

gyazo.com/a4d6c2a9c029326661eba648ac85e9d2 (All of Antenna's games played)

So, please do not call me out when you have no idea what you, or any of the people you have talked to are talking about. And if you still think im wrong, call microsoft and ask them about the tag reset, some do not know, you just have to get bumped up to tier 2. This just goes to show that level's in the forum mean absolutley nothing.

And for you Green Eyed Leo, their is indeed a way to delete your tag, and it is called a FNC'd tag. One way to get it is some of the tags that are banned get it. You go to change your gamertag to it, but it says it's taken, and you go to add it, but it is taken. Also that could mean there are spaced versions of the tag on Xbox. Example: Green is the same as G reen, G r een, G r e en, G r e e n, Gr e e n, Gr e en, Gr ee n, etc.

I was able to snag this GT when they did the 1st wave of resets. It's a shame that they stopped as there are plenty of creative/orginal GT's just sitting in silver land.

^^

Pretty legit name if you ask me :P

Does anyone have an idea of when they might possibly reset it again?