Xbox Game Pass Offline Play?

Question 1.

So I'm soon going on a very very long road trip in a motorhome and was thinking of bringing my Xbox One X, so online play will be disabled, but what about playing the games from Xbox Game Pass offline? Is it somehow possible without an internet cable?

Question 2.

The games I buy online as download and not a physical copy, can I play them offline without an internet cable?

Help would be very much appreciated! :)

|

If you want to play games offline then you need to pick those with single player campaign. Make sure your Xbox One X is set as the Home console. You may have to go into your Settings - General - Network settings and select Go Offline before you disconnect from the network or try playing online. I recommend you test it first at home by disconnecting your network cable and see what happens.

Good luck!

Avid Techno-geek & Gamer
If my reply solved your issue, please select my Post and click Yes. Thanks!

Xbox Ambassador - I am NOT a Microsoft employee!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes you will have to set to offline. Not all games, even with single player campaign mode, can be played offline. Best to check before you go on your trip, to see which will play and which won't. It wilp save frustration and disappointment.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In addition to what was mentioned by Frathos, there is a maximum of 30 days to remain offline, after those 30 days an online verification is needed to check for an active subscription.

See the ' How does offline mode work'  on this link: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this it's so weird, I first pressed "Go Offline" then I turned off my Xbox, unplugged the network cable, started up the xbox, then this came up in "My Games" section

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I never tryied it but I feel Gamepass games might need online connection so they can verify if you still active or not on the subscription.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I've read your post, and I believe I understand your position. The Xbox Ambassadors are here to help.

As mentioned by a fellow Xbox Ambassador in response above, offline play is possible, but only after adjusting your settings and taking the proper steps. might I add to this, please be advised that it will only be the campaign mode of games you can play, and not multiplayer. Also please be advised with some games the ability to autosave will be disabled without internet.

Enjoy your road trip, be safe, and have fun!

Michael J. Gill

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In regards to Question 1: Game Pass games are only "rented". So the console needs a way to check if you are still subscribed to Game Pass, and if a game is still in the Game Pass selection. So I guess that games you got via Game Pass might stop working if you are offline for too long. 

For Question 2, you need to make sure that the console you're going to use offline is your account's designated "Home Console". 

You can change the Home Console setting ONLY while the console is online by going to the settings, and under "Personalization" set the console as your Home Console. 

Digital games you have bought with that account will then be unlocked by the console and playable while being offline. Since disc based games have their usage license on the disc itself, you need to have the disc inserted in the console to play disc based games. 

Please check the proper Home Console setting (be aware that you can alter the Home Console setting only 5 times during 365 days) and that your purchased games work offline before going on your trip. 

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Never tried it myself but I'm sure you would still need some sort of online presence.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2021 Views 4,562 Applies to: