Xbox Freezing issue

I have an old 360 Premium (20GB) that a friend uses when they visits so we can play multiplayer games together. I use my 360S on my TV and my friend uses the older 360 on my PC monitor. However whilst it worked quite well at first, we have been playing Borderlands 2 using this method and the older 360 has developed quite a bad habit of freezing. There is no RROD, the game uses freezes up completely (sound still plays though) and we have to restart the console and start the game again. We normally play the game for a couple of hours and the Xbox can freeze between 2 and 3 times during this period. I've cleared the cache, cleaned the laser lense and cleared unnecessary stuff off the hard drive but nothing seems to fix the issue. I've also e experienced the freezing during 'Saints Row 3' and even Internet Explorer. Is there anything that can be done to resolve the issue or has the Xbox had its day? I bought it back in 2006 and had the RROD in three consecutive years, the last time Microsoft replaced rather than repaired the console. I went and got an Xbox 360S 250GB in early 2011 because the 20GB hard drive was far too small. Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

If the sound still plays, what to do, is eject the disk and see if the console begins working again. If it does, then clean the disc. If it doesn't, clear the system's cache, and in extreme cases, format the harddrive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

LowlyOne he said he already cleared cache and his hard drive. Mike9586 i also have the same exact issue but its with BO2, during online play it will randomly freeze but sound will still play and i can still talk to friends on party chat. from the research i have done outside of the Xbox forums i believe i have a fairly good answer for you. The Xbox if not overheating to the point of causing the RROD but it is getting hot enough to over heat the video card, and therefore freezing up the image. best thing i can recommend is for you to clean up the fan exhaust are and make sure its getting plenty of air to keep it cool, maybe even put a fan on it. this should help keep the video card from getting too hot and keep the Xbox running smooth.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.