Xbox freezing and looping at startup

My xbox 360 S model is freezing and trying to update over and over at startup.  I was just using it two days ago and it worked perfectly, and now today it won't boot up.  I tried to turn it on and it went through the xbox logo fine, then it got to the spinning circle and froze on that screen.  So I restarted it a few times and got the same thing.  Then i unplugged it for about an hour and tried again.  This time it asked me to update. I said yes and it turn off the screen completely (my TV said "check signal cable", which is what it says when nothing is connected), but the system was still on.  30 seconds or so later the system came back to the xbox logo and tried to start again, this time just going to the spinning circle and freezing again.  I tried again and it asked me to update again, this time when I clicked yes it started updating.  I finished the update and it restarted and asked me to update again.  Now whenever I try it, it either freezes, asks to update then freezes, completes the update and freezes, or completes the update, or lets me into the dashboard for about 5 seconds and then freezes.  

Another thing to note is when the spinning circle is there, there are a few odd pixilated squares on the screen.  Not sure what to do, The update doesn't seem to be staying, is there a way to manually reset the cache, or is there anything else I can do to fix this? 

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Update: So, I've been able to now get into the menu usually without hassle, but loading a game does not work most of the time, it usually freezes.  i tried clearing the cache and it didn't even seem like it actually did it, it opened the progress bar for a second and then closed out.  i tried to run a game off my hard drive and it didn't work, it just froze.  Then I tried to run a game off the disc and it froze.  So I tried taking out the hard drive and running a game off disc and it seemed to work, but then it froze at the start menu.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.