Xbox Feb Update Causing Black Screen.

People please respond.  After the update when I back out of an app or game occasionally the screen will flicker black and then just stay black and only output sound.  Only thing that fixes it is a hard reset, but holding the x1 button for 5 seconds.  Spoke with MS and they stated I would need to replace my X1.  What is going on? It seems wide spread, but in the same sense what if it is a hardware issue?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I had an issue after my update. I restored mine back to how it came from the box and all my issues seem to have gone away. This does erase all data on the console and you will need to download all games again but it may be worth a try.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

did you ever do the offline update?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated my console through the online push, and have had the same issue. Even after holding the power button for 5 seconds to restart, the problem has returned. I have not had any issue leaving apps, just leaving games, and it is not every time.  Usually it works for a few hours before returning.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had what appears to have been the same issue. I was using it fine for a few hours after the update. Later, I changed to an app (I don't recall which one) and it flickered and went black. Audio was still going, but no picture. (The TV indicated that it was getting a video feed, but that the video feed was just black.) I tried resetting the console (standby and full) but it did not resolve the issue. What finally did seem to resolve the issue was pulling the HDMI out and putting it back in. For whatever reason, this seemed to have got the console to output video again.

I hope you get yours sorted out. I'm not sure what the problem is, but mine was certainly not a hardware problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've experienced the same issue twice since the update. Obviously its on Microsoft's side and not anything wrong with our systems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I just did a factory reset and a manual system update again to make sure everything bad was wiped out.  So we shall see what that does.

Sorry this didn't help.