XBox Family Account discontinued--do I really need to pay for 4 separate accounts (i.e. spend more than twice as much money)?

The email I got indicating that the family account was being discontinued indicated that the new XBox Live accounts would have more flexibility in who could get online.  Does this mean that I only need one XBox Live account per XBox console?  Or did they just decide to screw me and make me pay twice as much for the same service?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 223 Applies to:

Hello

please follow this link for more info on the discontinuation of the family plan, support.xbox.com/.../family-pack-convert-individual-member-faq.

but if you are concerned about moving your profile from one Xbox to another your best bet would be to move this to a USB drive (link on how to setup support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive) then copy your profile this will allow you to move the account from one device to another. however this will work on only one profile, if you have different accounts on different Xbox's then yes you would need to purchase additional Gold account for those account.

hope that helps

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your response.

I don't need to move any of the accounts.  Currently, I have one son at college, three accounts on my home unit, and one used by my stepson at his father's house  (The family pack covered 4 gamertags and I paid for one individual membership for a Fifth).  I figure I'll need at least three Xbox live accounts to account for the three locations, but what I need to know is whether the three people who play from home will be able to access XBox Live using their own gamertags if we only have one XBox Live account at home.  The link you provided says "Through the new Home Gold feature, a single Xbox Live Gold membership allows anyone in your home to enjoy many Gold features, like multiplayer, access to Gold entertainment apps, and more on your Xbox One.** "  That's what the email I got said too, but I don't know if that means that everyone on the same 360 gets to keep their gamertags using one account or if I need to purchase individual memberships for everyone.

This link seems to answer some of my question: support.xbox.com/.../xbox-live-gold-sharing-features.  However, it doesn't answer two important questions:

1.  Will these sharing features work on a 360 (as opposed to an XBox one)? The XBox One doesn't have any games I'm interested in and won't play any of my existing games and so seems, for the moment at least, like a huge waste of money.

2. If the "home gold" features work with the 360, will the three people in my house be able to use their existing gamertags to get on XBox live or need to create new ones?

Sorry this didn't help.

Currently the gold sharing is only available through the One. There is no word on if/when Microsoft will release something like that for the 360. Right now, each account on the 360 will need to have their own gold subscription if they want to play online.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  It appears that my choices are (1) to spend $300 on five memberships (as opposed to the $160 I spent on the family pack plus one individual), or (2) Spend $500 to upgrade to a system I don't want and which doesn't play any of my games.  Thanks, Microsoft!

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing my household is doing to help offset the cost of multiple accounts is letting the kids pay for their own.  They each have a $5 a week allowance.  Every week, they contribute $1 to fund next year's subscription.  By the time their current Gold runs out, they'll only be about $8 short, which I can cover for them, unless they decide to chip in a little extra.  Technically it would cost about $1.16 per week, or just under that, to total up to $59.99.  I don't want to count small change, so it's easier to have them just toss a dollar (bills or quarters) into the jar.  Each kid gets their own jar.  When the jar fills up to $60 (or $52, really), it's time to get them another year, which they either pay me and I cover from my credit card, or we head to the mall and pick up a prepaid card).  My brother has his own job, and covers the cost of his own membership himself, so I don't have to worry about his.  Also, keep an eye out for any retail promotional deals that might drop the cost.  Hope the info here is helpful!

Sorry this didn't help.

And most of the time prepaid cards are on sale for about $35 online. So that helps too.

Sorry this didn't help.